Chapter 3: Zlatko's House

Your car lurched to a stop as you pulled up to the address Chris had given you, struggling to make out the area due to the heavy rain drops that continuously assaulted your windows. Squinting past your windshield, you were able to spot the familiar flashing of red and blue lights, noting that a large amount of policemen and CSIs were already there. You could also spot a large mansion standing menacingly in the distance, sectioned off by bright yellow police tape. The house looked like something out of a vampire movie, its victorian architecture and gray colors giving you a negative vibe, engulfing your nervousness. It was as if you could feel the evilness oozing out of every crack and crevice of the dismal stone walls of the house- and the presence of the police did not help. Of course this had to be your first investigation with the DPD- a crime scene out of a horror movie.

"Are you ready to go, Detective L/N?" Connor asked from beside you.

You broke your gaze away from the house, turning to Connor who was waiting for a response, "Uh, yeah. Yes. Let's go."

You stepped out of the car and into the thick sheets of rain, eager to make your way inside of the house as Connor trailed shortly behind you. On the porch in front of the house stood three people, two of which were police officers while the other one had his back turned to you, all in what appeared to be a deep conversation. As you climbed up the steps of the porch, not a single person glanced in your direction. You were hoping it was because they failed to hear you coming over the falling rain, and not them purposely ignoring you.

Taking another step towards the group, you cleared your throat, "Excuse me?"

The man who had formerly had his back to you turned around, to which you instantly recognized him as Detective Ben Collins. His eyes roved from your head to your toes, before he parted his lips to speak, "Detective L/N, is it? You're Hank's replacement?"

"Yes, that's right." You said, holding back the urge to shiver from the freezing rain that soaked your coat. You looked back at Connor who was just as soaked as you, standing there attentively, "And this is Connor."

"Detective." Connor greeted, with a curt nod of his head.

"I'm well aware." Collins remarked, without giving Connor so much as a glance, "It's the same piece of plastic that Hank had to babysit. I'm surprised Fowler has you investigating with it. It's lucky I'm not scrapping it for parts right here." You watched as the other two policemen that had been talking to Collins headed inside, leaving the three of you on the porch alone.

"I'd highly advise against that." Connor suggested in a flat tone. You shot a questioning glance in his direction, wondering if he was suicidal. "I'm worth a small fortune. You would be fined for damaging Cyberlife property."

"And Hank wasn't worth a fortune, is that it? Is that all you androids care about?" Collins asked, his voice raising. "I've known Hank since I've joined the force. He was a great lieutenant, and I find it hard to believe there was nothing you could do to prevent what happened! You are expendable. You can be replaced. Humans- human lives- can't." Collins took a step towards Connor, grabbing him by the shoulders.

"Hey hey hey-!" You intervened, putting an arm between the two. You put your free hand on Collin's shoulder in an attempt to keep him in place, "I think we can all agree that what happened to Lieutenant Anderson was a horrible tragedy. But arguing about it won't get us anywhere. It just makes things worse." Collin's gaze shifted from you to Connor, before he finally let Connor out of his grasp.

"I'm sorry." Collins said flatly, directing the apology towards you, "Not my best first impression- I'm sure. It's just that Hank and I were close. It's hard to see this- this machine- still walking around while Hank is gone."