Chapter 6: The Eden Club

There was misery in the streets. The streets of Detroit. It soaked into the sidewalk cracks and into the graffitied walls. It was in the back alleys where the few restaurants who persisted in trading had their garbage searched several times a day, and not just by the cats. On each alley street there would be people sleeping in the streets, huddled in front of store fronts desperate for any sort of warmth. Connor drives through the city streets with your windows up, doors locked, music on. It's all you could do.

Connor turned down yet another street, the flashing of police lights becoming visible in the distance. You had intended to drive but Connor insisted on getting behind the wheel. You weren't complaining as you sat back, allowing him to lead the way to the crime scene. You wondered how he was able to navigate the city so easily without having a GPS. Did he have one built into his system? Well- whatever the case- you felt like you had your own personal chauffeur, you could get used to it.

"Here we are." He murmured, pulling up behind a parked police cars.

You reached forward, turning the radio off to hear him better. Glancing out your window, you were met with neon pink lights and bassy music which you could hear through the closed door of your car. A large neon sign hung above the entrance of the building in cursive lettering: Eden Club

You could already feel an involuntary groan forming in your throat. You knew all about this club. You've heard men talking about going there in the office. As far as you were concerned, it was a dirty, dingy sex club. There was a reason androids worked the place and not real men and woman. What was going on there should have been illegal. You left your show and mom for this? Blatantly ignoring the obvious police presence, you turned to Connor, "Are you sure this is the place?"

"It's the address in the report," He replied matter-of-factly.

"Alright... Let's get going then." Maybe you should have asked for more details about the crime before agreeing to come check it out. You climbed out of the car, Connor, mimicking your actions and allowing you to lead the way.

You tried to ignore the bright signs that advertised the clubs. The pretty android women that modeled on the signs and the bold lettering: The Sexiest Androids In Town. You kept your focus on the entrance of the club which was taped off, a police officer standing guard nearby.

Inside the club was even brighter than the outside. You began to get a headache just after a few seconds. It was like walking through the a galaxy system, you were witnessing an array of acid blues, hot pinks and purples. The music played over the club loudly, a repetitive thumbing that you honestly weren't feeling. Along the sides of the club were androids. Club workers- sex workers- standing in lingerie and confined to pods as they waiting for their next buyer. Their perfect bodies and faces irked you. The whole situation felt dehumanizing. Well- they weren't humans- but that's how it felt.

You continued past the androids and into another room that held even more androids. In the center of the room, there were numerous illuminated poles, androids gracefully dancing around them in the same revealing uniform as the other androids in the pods had. There were also rooms used by customers for their 'sessions' lined up against the wall. You hated the fact that you were there.

Up ahead, you saw the familiar face of Officer Ben Collins as he was talking to someone that appeared to work there. "You're not going to take away my license, right? I mean," The man uttered a nervous laugh, "I had nothing to do with this!"

"The investigation's still ongoing, sir, I can't tell you anything for the moment." Collins told the man. He turned his head over towards you, a smile of recognition forming on his face, "Hey Detective L/N!"

You were relieved to see a familiar face. You approached him with Connor by your side, "Hey Collins, how's it going?"

"It's in that room over there." He told you, pointing to the room directly behind you.