Chapter 2: The Excluded Detail

You weren't sure what to expect for your first day at the Detroit Police Department. Getting to Detroit had been a hectic experience on its own. You managed to make the move in a week, but you were barely settled in to your new apartment. Boxes were still scattered about your new apartment as you struggled to find the time to sit down and unpack. You had also tried using the public bus to get around, but they were so crowded and complicated that you impulsively bought a car. As if you weren't in enough debt after your move.

Detroit was such a large city, every street provided a different view of life. The downtown areas would flicker between affluence and poverty. Atmospheres varying from high-class citizens gambling away millions that were mere pennies to them- to the homeless across the street that would wear a torn winter coat in even the hottest of weather. The streets were muddled with black and white colors. Gloomy.

Then, there were the androids. There were so many androids on the streets of Detroit. Domestic androids, maintenance androids- you don't think you had ever seen so many androids out and about while living in Ann Arbor. Every shuttle with an android compartment was completely filled. It fascinated you. No wonder Detroit had so many deviant android cases. They were everywhere.

Everything about Detroit seemed so hectic to you. You wondered if you would ever adjust to your new lifestyle. You knew that if you wanted to keep your new job, you were going to have to. You were just hoping that your first day at the Detroit Police Department would go better than your first day in Detroit.

Again, you weren't sure what to expect when you walked into the DPD, but you were pleasantly surprised to be welcomed at the front by Captain Fowler. From the moment you entered, he took you on a tour of the department, briefing you about your new position and what to expect.  He showed you your desk, the resources at your disposal, how to use some of the technology there that you didn't have back at Ann Arbor. Aside from a few 'high tech' electronics the DPD were using, everything was relatively similar to your old job. You were relieved to realize you wouldn't have any issues getting adjusted to your new work station.

After your short tour of the department, Captain Fowler sat you down in his office to discuss a few more things. "The terminal on your desk should have all of the information you'll need. It belonged to Lieutenant Anderson, the investigator on the deviant cases before you."

You nodded tentatively, feeling a bit awkward at the mention of the Lieutenant. You felt horrible about what happened. You heard he was a well-respected decorated officer. Captain Fowler seemed uncomfortable bringing him up himself. You wondered if the two of them had been close.

Captain Fowler cleared his throat, "Well, uh, anyways. I shouldn't keep you any longer. There's over 200 cases on that terminal. Enough to keep you busy for the next couple of weeks I hope?"

"Yes sir," You eagerly confirmed.

"Wonderful." Captain Fowler's eyes shifted to the glass behind you, scanning over the working policemen and women. After a few moments, he focused his attention on you once more, "You should get going then. The android should be here shortly."

You raised an eyebrow at this statement. Android? What android? "I'm sorry?"

"The RK800." Captain Fowler said firmly, as if it clarified anything. "Your Captain should have briefed you about it before you arrived."

You awkwardly looked to the side as you went over your departing conversation with Captain Wynn once more. You were certain he hadn't mentioned any android. And an RK800? You hadn't even known there was such a model. "I'm sorry Captain. I don't think he mentioned anything about an android."

"Oh boy." He murmured, easing back into his chair slowly. "Alright- alright." Captain Fowler slammed his hands onto the desk, folding them in front of himself. "Investigating deviants is a lot of work. We don't expect you to do it on your own. Cyberlife was gracious enough to send you a partner."