Chapter 14: Perkins

TW: This chapter contains some slight unwanted advances. Read at your own risk.

***

You opened the passenger side of your car door, nearly lunging into the seat inside and shutting the door behind you. It was so cold outside. You felt totally frozen. You rubbed your arms with your hands, hoping the friction would provide your body with some warmth.

Perkins entered the driver seat on the other side, letting yet another chilly breeze into the car. You groaned in annoyance, your teeth chattering louder as you hugged your arms tighter. At the sound of your whining, Perkins turned to you, his eyebrow raised. "Y/N..." He pushed the back side of his hand against your cheek, "You're ice cold."

"Yeah..." You replied, pulling away slightly from his touch, "It's the middle of winter. In Detroit. At night." Your voice carried on as you shifted your gaze from him to the window beside you. It pissed you off that you were sharing the same space as him.

"Let's warm this car up for you then." He said, inserting your keys into the ignition. The car roared to life; Perkins immediately began adjusting the heat setting in your car. After a few moments, he finally got it set to where the car was emitting a constant flow of heat, earning a sigh of content from you. "There." He sat back in his seat, admiring his work by raising his hand up to his own vent, "That should do it. Although it might take awhile to heat up, as this is an older car model. I don't blame you though. You're on a detective's pay roll after all."

Your began to grit your teeth in annoyance. Perkins always had something to say. It was always a snarky comment about how you were a woman. Or a detective. Or working with the DPD. He always had to act like he was better than you. Maybe he was. After all, he certainly got paid more than you. He reminded you of that several times. One thing was for certain, though: you didn't go around putting other people down. 

Without being prompted, Perkins began to remove his coat. Your eyes widened as you leaned back into the car door. "What do you think you're doing?

"What?" He asked innocently. He traced your gaze to the coat in his hand, "Oh Y/N, stop it. I feel just fine- I want you to stay warm." He held the coat up for you to take, "This isn't a strip tease, though, it could be if-."

"Enough." You interrupted, raising a hand up to silence him. "I'm flattered, but I don't need your coat. I'm feeling better already."

"Please, with that old heater?" Perkins asked, rolling his eyes, "There's no way. You're practically blue, Y/N. Just take the coat." 

"I said I didn't need it." You persisted, crossing your arms over your chest as you continued staring out the window. 

Perkins studied you with a watchful stare, his arm lingering in the air for a few more seconds before he finally realized you were keen on not taking the jacket from him. "Fine." You heard him mutter, before tossing the coat behind the two of you and into the back seat.

You crossed your legs as you turned them towards your side door, moving Perkins out of your line of sight. The sooner he began to drive, the better. You'd let him take you home, then slip out the back door in search of Connor. You were just beginning to wonder if you could really tolerate him until then. Everything that happened at Jericho- it was all because of him. All the androids that were killed. All the androids that had been captured. It was all because of Perkins.

You didn't understand how he could look at those androids- who were living in squalor just to be free- and not feel anything for them. Not care that they were being slaughtered by the numbers. You couldn't understand how he could gun them down like dominoes, then turn around and begin hitting on you as if nothing happened. He was detestable.