Chapter 12: Back to Kamski

You could have sworn you said you were never going to go back to Kamski. Yet, once again, there you were- returning to him in your time of need. This time though, he really was your last resort. Driving to Kamski's meant losing time. Losing daylight.

The fading of the sunlight had also meant the fading of the heat. The wintry air swirled around you as you made your way up to his front door, taking away every lick of warmth that it could. You wrapped your arms tighter around yourself, pulling your coat closed. You could see your breath whenever you exhaled. You were just praying Kamski was home. You were showing up unannounced- the last thing you wanted in this kind of weather was to be stranded outside.

You marched up to his porch, standing on his front mat. You raised a shaky hand, hesitating for a moment before knocking. You told Kamski he was an asshole. That you- essentially- wished he were dead. How in the world could you redeem yourself from that? You still stood by your words, but that being said, it was silly for you to expect any sort of help from Kamski after speaking to him like that. You knew, though, that you had no other choice. You knocked on the door.

You waited. There was no response. You knocked again. The movement was beginning to hurt your frozen knuckles.

The door opened. It was the same android as before. Your eyes widened in relief when you spotted her, "Chloe, right?"

"Detective L/N." She greeted, her voice full of surprise. "We weren't expecting you." Despite her straightforward way of addressing your unannounced visit, she still offered a polite smile.

"I- I know," You admitted, "This is just really important." You swallowed, shifting your weight between your legs as you feebly attempted to keep yourself warm, "Is... Is my uncle home?"

"He is." She opened the door for you, "I'm sure Elijah can make time for you. Please, come in."

She led you to the familiar foyer you had waited in before. You took a seat on one of the couches, trying your best to stay calm and collected.

"I'll let him know you're here." Chloe announced.

You had a strange feeling in the pit of your stomach as you listened to her. Guilt. You were remembering the way you spoke to her last time. The way you disregarded her because you were stressed out by the thought of speaking to Kamski again. Android or not, there was no excuse for your attitude. "Alright," You called after her, "Thank you, Chloe."

She paused right before leaving the room, turning her head to look back at you. A small smile formed on her face, "You're welcome."

You offered a nod in return, watching her silently as she walked off. She was a nice girl. You can't believe you didn't see that the first time. As you eased back into the chair, your eyes roamed around the room, taking in the scenery. As pretentious as you thought your uncle was, you supposed the decorations were nice. He had taste.

You found yourself gazing at the picture Connor had been so fixated on the last time the two of you were here. You still wondered why he seemed so perplexed by the woman in the photo. You never got the chance to ask him.

There was a lot you never got to ask Connor. You took his company for granted. Being at Kamski's alone was so much scarier than it was when you were there with Connor. As you sat waiting for Chloe to return, you could only hope that you would get the opportunity to ask Connor all of the questions you had. To see him again. You hoped those moments with him in the DPD wasn't your last.

The door reopened but Chloe was nowhere to be seen. Instead, Kamski walked in alone. His hair was slicked back in a bun. He seemed to be wearing some sort of night clothes. They were certainly different from his normally refined, somewhat sophisticated attire. His eyes fell on you, widening, "Y/N."