Dutch Van der Linde: The Mayor's Party

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me?" you asked, not sure you heard him properly.

"A dance, with me" Bronte clarified.

"Oh, I'm flatter but-" you began to turn him down. You couldn't be less interested in his offer.

"I will take offence if you say no" Bronte warned as he held his hand out to you.

"Ah...I suppose one dance couldn't hurt" you forced a smile and suppressed a sigh as you placed your hand in his.

Angelo guided you over to where the other party goers were dancing. He turned you to face him, keeping your hand in his and placing his other hand on your waist.

"I thought you didn't want to involve yourself with, what did you call them, vulgar scum?" you asked, placing your free hand on his shoulder.

"I don't but I could humour them...for the right price" Bronte told you as he wrapped his arm around your waist, placing his hand on the small of your back and pulling you against him. The sudden action made you gasp slightly. "Now tell me, Signorina, what are you doing with those cowboys?" he asked.

"They're good men. Family" you told him.

"And your relationship with Signor Van der Linde?" Bronte asked.

"I knew them before getting involved with Dutch" was all you said.

"It must not be a comfortable life" he hummed, his thumb stroking against your back. You wanted to push him away but figured it would turn out worse for Dutch's plan here.

"Not always but I'm happy with them" you assured him.

"Do you like jewels?" Bronte asked as he took the large stone that hung from your necklace in his fingers.

"They're pretty but no usually my style" you confessed.

"You know...I could offer you all the jewels you desired" Bronte told you as he traced his fingertips over your exposed collarbone.

"I'm not interested, thank you though" you told him coldly, not even humouring his advances.

"Miss L/n, Signor Bronte. I see you've found each other" Dutch's voice helped you relax, at least he was here to get you away from this man.

"Signor Van der Linde, it's nice of you to join us" Bronte gave him a forced smile as you pulled away from him.

"Are you enjoying yourself, my dear?" Dutch asked, holding his hand out to you.

"Of course, Signor Bronte was just keeping me company" you placed your hand in his and let him guide you towards him. "The evening just got a whole lot better now that you're here though" you smiled up at him as Dutch wrapped his arm around your waist and held you against him. You couldn't help but smile at his protectiveness.

"If you'll excuse us, now that I've taken care of business I'd like to focus on leisure" Dutch turned his attention back to the man that you were already forgetting about.

"Of course, enjoy your night" Bronte nodded at you both before leaving.

Dutch whisked you away among the other dancers, pulling you against him as you both started to move with the music.

"I'm glad you're here. He's a vile man" you sighed, relaxing in his embrace.

"From the moment you stepped out onto that balcony, he had his eye on you. As have plenty of men I've seen you speaking too" Dutch commented with a clear distaste for any other man that had looked at you this evening.

"Dutch, are you jealous?" you asked, an amused smile growing on your face.

"Of course not" Dutch scoffed slightly.