Epilogue.

"A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Epilogue

May 1877

The soft, May sun was just beginning to make it's descent towards the horizon and it cast a warm glow over the front porch on which Seth sat in his mother's old rocking chair. Nine month old Angel had dozed off in his arms and he was debating with himself whether to just let her sleep, or to wake her, seeing as it was far too late for her to nap. They would never sleep tonight if she did. But she was so peaceful it felt like such a crime to disturb her slumber.

His debating thoughts were interrupted by the front door opening and Jimmy stepping out. He stood silently for a moment, taking in the sunset view in front of him, then he went and sat in the chair opposite Seth.

"You gonna let her sleep?"

"I really shouldn't," Seth sighed.

There was a pause after this exchange. Jimmy gazed intently at his brother while Seth kept his stare fixed on the horizon. He had only been back to the farm for a month now and it was going better than everyone had hoped. True, he rarely spoke to Sam and avoided him as much as he could, but there had been no open confrontations and both father and son worked hard to keep peace between them so there would be no tension in the family.

"I've been meanin' to ask ya for a long time now, Seth," Jimmy suddenly stated. Seth groaned and turned his attention to his brother. He had a funny feeling whatever it was Jimmy wanted to say, it had to do with the Goodwills and Jackson theft from his father.

"What?" He growled, trying to get his displeasure across. Jimmy chose to ignore it.

"Momma wouldn't let me bring this subject up while you was all delicate and weak, but I overheard Uncle Ernest speaking how yer lungs are much stronger now and he even suggests that you take up some farm work to strength them. I think that means I can speak my mind at last."

"That really depends on what your mind has to say."

"It's about Jackson Goodwill."

Seth rolled his eyes. "I thought so."

"I just don't see how you can sit here, so calm and cool and not care that he is a criminal who should be brought to justice and is allowed to go Scott free. I mean, he made you take the blame and do time that was supposed to be his."

"I was guilty, alright, and you know that as well as the next person."

"But to take ALL the blame, that's hardly fair."

"Fair?" Seth laughed. "There is no fair as far as those rich land barons are concerned. They have all the money so they can pull all the strings. Jackson Goodwill as good as promised he'd come for me if I dared to breathe a word. Washington Goodwill also told me to keep my mouth shut. I'm just glad I have my freedom."

"While they get away with it?"

Jimmy's attitude was to much for Seth.

"Honestly, Jimmy," he burst out passionately. "You would think Jackson Goodwill stole from you. Why are you so obsessed with all of this? They are stealing from their own. It's a family mess that you really don't have to get involved in. Why would you care if a filthy rich land baron is losing some money because his spoiled sons are taking it. Why do you want to tangle me up in all of this? I just got out of it. I don't want to have anything to do with Jackson ever again. I've learned my lesson the hard way. All I want now is to make an honest living for family. I want to enjoy the company of my little girls and get to know the strong, dear woman who is my wife. I've burned the bridge, and if you want to build another one don't try to get me involved. I don't ever, EVER want you to bring up this whole Goodwill business with me again. Is that clear? It's over and done that's the end of it."

The raised voice of Seth woke Angel and she started to cry a bit. Seth sat her up and bounced her on his knee. She soon calmed down and changed her sobs into giggles.

Jimmy shook his head, disgusted at what he thought was the cowardliness of his brother and left the front porch. Something inside him said it wasn't quite over and done yet. Those crafty brothers had a big bag of tricks up their sleeves and he felt that Seth was turning a blind eye to it all.

"Yer uncle is one grouch, that's for sure," Seth informed his daughter. "Why can't he just let the whole thing go. He'll never get the justice he so naively wants. And anyway, why should we bother? Daddy's back, Momma's safe and you and yer sister are happy and healthy. Just wait, my little Angel, in a year's time we'll have our own house and will enjoy our little family all to ourselves without the disturbance of annoying uncles."

He leaned over and placed a kiss on her forehead, quite unaware that he was being watch by Abbie Mae, who stood quietly hidden by the door. It was endearing to Seth so gentle with his daughter. Any rough or ruggedness vanished when he was with his children. For Abbie Mae, who had only known cruelty from her father, seeing how Seth cared for his children was the best thing in her life.

And yet...

Slowly she turned and walked upstairs to their room. Now that Seth was with them for good, now that they once again shared their life, Abbie Mae couldn't help from constantly reminding herself that only one of the children was actually his. What would he do if he discovered that the little girl he bounced on his knee so lovingly had been picked up from a ditch?

Her mother said he would want to send her to an orphanage immediately. Jenna, however, had been of a different mind. Reaching into her dresser, Abbie Mae pulled out her diary and from there retrieved the message that Jenna had told Susan Goodwill and Susan Goodwill had written down and given to Sam to give to Abbie Mae. It was short and blunt, in true Jenna style.

Tell him, he'll understand. Do him justice and give him the credit he deserves. He'll understand.

Jenna seemed sure of Seth's ability to accept a child that was not his. Abbie Mae could't make herself believe this, try as she might. And anyway, would it really hurt anyone if no one knew? What difference did it make anyway? If she spoke there was a risk of giving Angel away, if she kept silent no one would be the worse for it.

"Sorry, Jenna," Abbie Mae stated, placing the note back in her diary. "Maybe he would understand, but I am not going to take my chances. It will be a secret I'll take with me to the grave. It's what's best for my family."

But as she walked down to help Nan set out the table for dinner she kept hearing Jenna's voice in her head, asking, always asking,

"But is it really, Abbie Mae, is it really?"

**********************************

Author's Note:

Well, we have finished "When the Rain Comes" but as many as you can see it leaves us with many unanswered questions. Book 3 in this series, titled "What We Hide" is being posted today and will continue the saga of the Carthwrite Family, as well as that of the Goodwills. The prologue is going up now. I've already started this book on Inkitt, you can go to the link in my profile to see how to get to it. Or you can wait a bit, I try to post on wattpad at least once a week.

See ya'll in the next book.