Chapter 11. Stubborn and Secretive.

Then tell the Wind and Fire where to stop...but don't tell me. ~ Charles Dickens

Chapter 11.

Stubborn and Secretive.

It was another morning that Abbie Mae and her mother-in-law shared in the chase riding towards the prison. Nan was going to try to talk Seth to go along with Mr. Goodwill's proposal, while Abbie Mae came to test the truth of her husband's word. Would Jenna be there? Would Seth have caved into the beauty and charm of the enchanting red-head? It still hurt so much that someone as wicked as Jenna could be so beautiful. Abbie Mae knew she was as ugly as they got. If only she had what Jenna had, maybe then Seth would never have strayed from her in the first place.

"Oh well," she concluded as they arrived at the large, gray building. "If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

Sheriff Goldberg was there to greet them. Abbie Mae couldn't help from noticing yet again how familiar he seemed to be with Mrs. Carthwrite.

"It's almost as though they know each other from before," she mused. Maybe, if she mustered up enough courage, she would ask her mother-in-law about it on the journey home. Right now there were more important things at hand.

"Sheriff Goldberg," Abbie Mae forced herself to adress him "Has...well...has...has the other one been here?"

With his customary look of pity, Sheriff Goldberg turned his attention to the little woman. "No, Mrs. Carthwrite, she hasn't. I haven't seen her since the last time you were here. Rather odd if you ask me. There's usually no getting' rid of her."

"Well, good riddance!" Nan huffed. "I sure hope she keeps her distance from now on. Sly little thing. Never did care much for redheads."

"It's not really the hair color but the attitude," Abbie Mae muttered under her breath. They had reached Seth's cell by now and the jailer let them in. He never had a harsh word when they came escorted by the sheriff. Abbie Mae did feel shivers from his cold stare however. That man seemed to be evil inside and out.

They greeted the prisoner and sat down to talk. Nan got straight to business.

"We had a visit from Mr. Goodwill and his son the other day."

Abbie Mae perked up at this and listened closely. She knew nothing of this. Seth, on the other hand, rolled his eyes and slouched back.

"Came to tell you of his proposal, did he?"

"Yes. He also told us how you refused him."

"I did."

"But, Seth, don't you realize what an opportunity this is? He could get you out of this jail earlier. You don't want to rot in here five years, do ya now? Think of your wife and child. You need to support them, you need to look out for them. And he ain't askin' for much. Just tell him who was involved with you. Tell him who it was you was stealin' with. Turn them in. It will make everyone's life so much easier."

Seth cast a glance over at Abbie Mae, who had fixed her large eyes straight at him. If only Momma had come to try and convince him of something he was not going to do without his wife present. He noted once again how thin she was, definitely not in the right condition for an expectant mother. And those pleading eyes. It could break any man's heart.

"Momma, I can't," he muttered, forcing himself to look away from Abbie Mae. Instead he focused on the little patch of sky he could see from the tiny cell window.

"And why not? Why must you stay loyal to a band of thugs who abandoned you to rot in prison all on your lonesome? They don't deserve your loyalty, Seth. They betrayed you."