Chapter 28. A Small Voice.

After the earthquake and the fire comes the still, small voice. ~ Dorothy Thompson.

Chapter 28.

A Small Voice.

Jimmy stormed back home, angry and upset. How could Susan betray them all like this. How could she let Jackson Goodwill get away with it? He deserved to be locked up, just the way his brother had been.

"Now both the criminals are going to go free," he muttered to himself. "Seth is released and Jackson never gets put. There is the justice of America for you in a nutshell. If you've got the money and the connections you need not fear the law! And it's people like Susan Goodwill who help to keep that statement true. And to think I was sure she was different from all the rest of them. Well, the joke is on me, that's for sure."

It would be time to start the evening chores soon, so even though Jimmy wanted to walked around and fume, he did the responsible thing and came back to the house. He hardly noticed the cheery atmosphere that was present inside. All Jimmy wanted to do was go up to his room to compose himself before heading off to work, his way was blocked, however, but Elisha.

"Hey, Jimmy, guess what?"

"I really am not in the mood for guessing games," Jimmy growled, though Elisha seemed blind and deaf to his obvious bad mood.

"Then I'll tell ya, since you won't be able to guess anyway. I didn't believe it when I head. Clinton is headin' off for college this fall."

There was an unexpected piece of information. Clinton? Clinton was going to college? On what money?

Elisha, obviously enjoying the blank look of surprise on Jimmy's face, gave a moment for dramatic pause before continuing. "And here's the best part, guess who has made this great achievement possible?"

"Just tell me the whole damn story!" Jimmy snapped. "I thought I made it clear I'm not in the mood for playin' around."

"Our own kid brother, Michael Carthwrite, convinced Momma to give the college money she had saved for him to Clinton."

This statement left Jimmy speechless for quite a while. He stared stupidly at Elisha. "Michael did what?" He stammered at last.

"I don't know how he achieved it," Elisha answered. "Somehow he convinced Momma that the money she has been saving for him should be given to Clinton to pay his way through college and help him get into law school. Clint is so excited he can hardly speak, and Michael seems to be the happiest of them all."

"That's, that's really great," Jimmy said with a smile.

"It was the only thing being talked about at the dinner table. Where were you? We got tired of waiting and ate without you. Momma was afraid you'd gone to the saloon, Pa was afraid you was out with Miss Goodwill. I'm just back from the saloon with the good news that you were not there, but," a naughty twinkle came to Elisha's eyes, "does that mean that Pa was right?"

Susan Goodwill.

Why was there no escaping her? Even in his own home he wasn't safe from the memory of her betrayal.

"I'm off to do the milking," Jimmy stated in a gruff tone and stormed out of the house. He busied himself in the barn, but even this place was haunted with Susan. Sam and the boys came by to help with the chores and there were many attempts to engage Jimmy in conversation, but he kept to himself and ignored the curious and concerned stares.

At last all was done and Jimmy went out to the back porch to be alone. His solitude was not for long however. After some time he was joined by his mother.