Chapter 26. Twist

Just a single chord is enough to be tangled. ~ Munia Khan

Chapter 26

Twist.

The main door slammed as Washington stormed out of it and headed for the stables. Susan watched from the window. She pitied the groom who would be unfortunate enough to be given the task of saddling Washington's mount. He would get no mercy from the anger master, who would lash out at him verbally nonstop until the horse was ready.

"That certainly did not go well," Susan sighed.

Her predictions were quite right. Washington was in a terrible state of temper as he rode out to the prison.

"It can't be true, it just can't be," he kept muttering to himself. "Jackson wouldn't do that. To be stealing from Father all this time!"

What he really wanted to do was confront Jenna, but of course his cousin hadn't thought to detain the woman. No, she had let her go with a purse of money. Jenna was no fool, she would get as far from Apple Wine, Washington, and Jackson as she possibly could.

"Told Susan some sob story and Susan let her emotions get the better of her," he fumed. "That's why woman shouldn't be involved in business. We'd all be broke if we let them handle things."

Yet, despite his constant denial, even Washington had to admit that it all fit together. Hadn't Jackson been present when they had discussed using freedom as a lure to get Seth to tell the truth? Hadn't he disappeared that afternoon, under the pretext of going to see Catherine? It was ten to one he had ridden over to the prison and had a nice chat with Seth. Still, Washington had to hear it from Seth's own lips to really be sure.

He forced himself to cool down before entering the office to speak with Sheriff Goldberg. His father always said cooler heads must prevail. Nothing good ever came when you did things in a state of temper.

Once he'd calmed himself he arranged with the sheriff to have Seth brought over to the office so they could speak in privacy. It took some time, but at last they brought the handcuffed Seth, who took a seat in the chair Washington had motioned too. Then they were left alone.

For a few moments the two men eyed each other.

"I just had a word with my cousin, Miss Susan Goodwill," Washington began at last. "Apparently yer little lady friend paid us a visit and spilled all the beans."

Seth slowly nodded his head. "So I have also been informed," he dryly stated.

Washington put himself at eye level with Seth. "Seth, let's have the truth. This is a new season starting for us. And I don't want us to lose a third of the harvest like we did last year. I've been tryin' and tryin' to get the truth out of you. Believe it or not, I even went through Jenna, hopin' she would get it out of you and tell me. Well, she got it out, even if she didn't tell me in person."

"Jenna knew all about it before I was even arrested," Seth retorted. "She only let the truth out because she pitied my daughters."

"Huh, the whore has a heart after all. Not like it actually matters. Has she been here?"

"I haven't seen her in two days."

"Shame. Now, start talkin'!"

"I thought Miss Goodwill already told you everything."

Washington's face grew serious. "So it really is Jackson after all? Have you been working with him personally?"

"He does most of the business through that foreman of yers. I never actually met Jackson Goodwill until he came to visit me in the prison and told me to keep my mouth shut."