Chapter 24. Commotion.

All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed. ~ Sean O'Casey.

Chapter 24.

Commotion.

The night outside was cool and damp. The rain had ceased and an unpleasant chill hung in the air. It was the type that went right through all your warm clothing, no matter how many layers you had on, and straight to your bones. Jimmy shivered as he stepped out. It wasn't the sort of night any person in his right mind would ever want to be out in.

"Then it's gotta be someone out of his right mind," Jimmy concluded. "I have a funny feeling I know who is out there."

He retraced his steps back into the barn to get the lamp. Ignoring the concerned looks on Michael and Susan's faces he came out again. "Fergus McFee!" He called in a loud voice. "I can here you and I've got a gun, don't make me shoot!"

His loud voice caused lights to appear in different windows. Commotion could be heard inside as heads peeked out. Jimmy knew that in a matter of moments his father and brothers would be rushing out the front door, as soon as they were dressed and armed. There was a growling sound and the black shape of Fergus stepped out from the shadows. He held a pistol in his hands.

"Ya ain't the only one with a gun," Fergus taunted.

"Put that thing down!" Jimmy commanded. "We don't want anyone to get hurt."

BAM!

The gunshot sounded out through the quiet night. Jimmy dropped the rifle and the lamp as he staggered, clutching his left arm. The lamp, upon hitting the ground, shattered, but the wet ground kept any fire from starting.

The front door flew open and Sam, Elisha, and Clinton came bursting out. But Fergus had rushed up to Jimmy, grabbed him firmly around the neck with his arm, and put the gun to his head.

"One more step, and I'll blast his brains out!" He called in a slurred voice. "Carthwrite, bring me out my daughter, or I'll take yer son's life."

Elisha and Clinton had their revolvers aimed at Fergus, but when his finger on the trigger tensed Sam motioned for them to lower their weapons. Fergus had shot once already, it was obvious he would have no trouble shooting again.

"That's the path you've decided to take, Fergus?" He demanded.

"Give me Abbie Mae, or you can bury this one in the ground. I'll come for them all. Each and every one of them. I won't rest until you've dug a grave for each of yer boys, and yer one girl. Oh yes, I'll come for her too, don't think I won't. There is nothing you can do to save her from what I have in store. Now bring out...WENCH!" Fergus suddenly shouted. Sam and the twins turned to see Abbie Mae had rushed outside, a shawl thrown over her nightgown.

"Daddy!" She screamed. "Daddy put that thing down. Leave Jimmy alone."

"I'm givin' ya five minutes to have yer stuff packed and yer self dressed. Leave them babies behind, but you are comin' home. Five minutes, or else Jimmy dies."

Abbie Mae turned but was stopped by Sam. "No!" He firmly stated. "You are not going back."

"I...I...I have too!"

"Abbie Mae, don't fall for this," Jimmy ordered. Abbie Mae stared wide eyed and shook her head. She tried to break free from Sam, but he held tightly to her arm.

"Don't stop her, Carthwrite. Five min..."

He never finished the word. To the surprise of everyone present, Fergus suddenly crumpled in a heap. The hand that had been holding the pistol to Jimmy's head relaxed and went limp, his hold loosened. For a moment there was stunned silence. Nan had come out by now, the sound of crying babies could be heard from the house, but no one seemed to notice. Everyone just stared at the figure who stood, shovel in hand, over the unconscious form of McFee.