Chapter 30. Moving On.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over. ~ Nicole Sobon

Chapter 30.

Moving On.

There was a lot of commotion in Susan's room as the the maids ran about putting last minute things away in the proper trunks. Susan stood quietly by her bed and watched, giving directions every now and then as to where something should or should not be placed.

Before long the footmen arrived to carry her trunks down. There were quite a lot of them. Juliana had said they would be traveling for at least six months, possibly more.

"I want to see as much of the old world as I can," she had told Susan in the excited voice of a five year old. Susan wished she could share in that excitement, but she had found little joy in preparing for the trip.

Doubts plagued her mind every second of every minute of every hour of every day. Had she really done the right thing? Was Jimmy right to be mad at her? Maybe she should have spoken to Uncle Gabriel. Would it have really done any good? Could the Carthwrites really face the gossip furry that Washington would have been sure to unleash?

"Susan!" Came Juliana's exasperated call. "Everything is in the carriage already. We are going to miss the train if you don't hurry along. What is the matter with you? You've been so distant these past two weeks!"

"Sorry," Susan called and hurriedly pinning on her hat she went down to where the impatient Juliana was waiting. They said the goodbyes to the family and were off.

"Susan," Juliana turned towards her once they were settled in the carriage. "You really do need to let this whole Carthwrite business go. You did the right thing. Look, in the end everyone is happy. Washington will keep an eye on Jackson to make sure he doesn't get into any more mischief. Seth Carthwrite is free from prison and able to take care of his family. Everyone is happy. I don't know why you are taking all of this so personally. Please, my dear cousin, listen to me. You need to move on. It's not the place of us women to meddle with men and their business affairs. What you need to focus on is becoming a good lady of society. You've had some setbacks, first that horrid betrayal from Mr. Gordon, then that silly friendship with the farmer's son. Now don't get into a fret, I understand why it all happened the way it did. You are young and such things happen in our youth. They must happen. They help us to learn and to do better in the future. Now, my dear, it is time for you to put away childish things. It's time for you to become a woman and take your place in society. In high society, not with the farmers and laborers. They are not your people, their ways are simple, uneducated and rough. You have good breeding and a wonderful education. Let us put that in a place where it will be appreciated."

Juliana droned on and on. Susan half listened to her. "Good breeding," she mused. "You'd think she was speakin' of a horse or something."

At last they arrived at the station. The servants were busy unloading and Juliana got caught up making sure everything was placed nicely in the luggage car. Left to herself, Susan stood by the first class carriage and gazed about the station. A young man caught her attention. That was Jimmy, no doubt about it.

"Perhaps he feels sorry for the way he spoke to me and wants to come and make amends," Susan couldn't help from thinking. Why else would he be at the station. There was no reason for them to part on bad terms. They had been good friends, they had shared much together. Let there be peace between them. Susan cast a glance over at her cousin, but Juliana was still occupied with the luggage. Satisfied Susan cautiously started making her way over to where Jimmy was. He had paused to buy something from a vendor and once he had paid for his purchase he glanced up and his eyes met those of Susan. She gave him a slight smile and a nod. Jimmy, however, appeared not to have seen her. True, she was at a distance, but still stood right in front of him. Yet he simply turned and went to where his horse was tied. He placed something in the saddle bag and mounted. He never looked her way again, just whistled quietly to himself as he rode off.