Chapter 25. When Parents Get Involved.

To grow up is to stop putting blame on parents. ~ Maya Angelou

Chapter 25.

When Parents Get Involved.

There was drama at the Carthwrite farm once more, and it lasted for several hours. Dr. Mendelle came to examine his nephew and, to the relief of all, pronounced that the bullet had gone clean through Jimmy's arm, so there was no need to try and fish it out. Also it had not snagged his bone in any way. The whole thing was merely a flesh wound that would heal in a matter of time.

Sheriff Morris had also appeared on the scene with his deputies and there was a lot of questioning. Fergus had come too by that time and offered his version of the story, with so much swearing in between that Sheriff Morris lost his temper more than once and in the end had his deputies take him away and lock him up. They would keep him there until a case was brought up.

At last the law and medicine were sent on their way back home, but the family wasn't quite ready to settle down yet.

"So what was Miss Goodwill doing in the barn with the two of you exactly?" Elisha demanded of Jimmy and Michael. The two of them exchanged glances. Michael had forgotten all about Susan during the commotion and Jimmy had desperately hoped that the rest of the family had forgotten as well.

"Givin' them news about Seth," Sam replied before Michael or Jimmy had a chance to open their mouth. Everyone turned to the eldest member of the Carthwrite family. Jimmy thought he looked a good deal older tonight.

"I want everyone who is not Jimmy or Momma to go straight to bed," Sam ordered. "I'll talk to the rest of you in the morning. Go on, off with you!"

The three younger boys groaned, Abbie Mae let out a sigh. She had perked up the minute Seth's named had been mentioned.

"Oh, Abbie Mae, Miss Goodwill asked to pass this on to you," Sam reached into his pocket and held out the note. "Now all of you, to bed! Don't make me repeat it twice."

Knowing better than to argue with their father, the boys dragged themselves up the stairs. Abbie Mae took the note and followed them. Soon it was just Sam, Nan, and Jimmy in the sitting room.

"What is going on, Sam?" Nan asked as she cast a glance on Jimmy. "What was he doing there with her?"

Jimmy rolled his eyes. Sam sat down and explained to his wife all that Susan had told him. When he was done he turned straight way to Jimmy.

"Why didn't it cross yer mind to maybe involve me and yer mother? Why all this secret 'come to the barn at midnight' scheme. It's dangerous for her to be out alone at night, and visiting you no less."

"I haven't visited that saloon..."

"That's not the point, Jimmy," Nan kindly interrupted. "A reputation is not something that is restored over night. You know how the Goodwills very proud of their family and place in society. It would not do if they found out that one of theirs, a young, innocent lady no less, was sneaking around with men at night. Gabriel Goodwill would never stand for it. Any man would get in trouble and the gossip would fly. It's not so much what you were doing, but the fact that you felt you had to do it alone at night. And I agree with your father, why didn't you think to get us involved right from the start?"

There was no answer for a long time. At last Jimmy just shrugged. "I'm sort of over the age of asking my parents for permission do to things."

The reaction he got wasn't quite one he had anticipated. Sam and Nan glanced at each other and both let out quiet laughs.