Time to Return

I was humming along to the opening of Demon Slayer. It was recommended to me by my friends, though I'm not too fond of it so far. The opening was nice though so I would give it a point for that.

"Do you watch anything other than anime?" Asked Kai who was seated on my computer chair.

"Depends on how I feel,"

Kai rolled his eyes playfully and turned back to writing his homework.

It had been about a month since my return from the dream world, as I referred to it. After all, it felt like one since the time went by so fast yet no time had passed in real life. I was unsure if it was because I did enter the dream realm, or if some strings were pulled to send me back to my original timeline. Either way, none of it made sense to me and Kai refused to answer any of my questions.

Five minutes into the episode, I felt frustrated. "Man, I've watched like five episodes and I'm so bored." Turning to Kai I said, "Wanna do something?"

"Is that an invitation?" He said with a sly smirk.

Cringing, I turned away. "You know what I mean, bastard."

Kai got up from his seat and walked over to me. "Alright, let's go do something," Before I could react, Kai picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. Despite my demands to let me down, he didn't care and walked out and past my mom. "Hello Honda-san, I will be borrowing your daughter for a while. We'll be back later,"

She smiled gleefully and gestured for us to go. "Alright, have fun!" I decided not to even put up a fight as she wouldn't side with me either way. It was an occurrence that was frequent and through my previous experience, my protests had never worked.

"Oh, bring me back a melon bar." Aki stated.

With a wink and thumbs up, Kai said, "Alright, you got it."

Once we were a few meters away from my house, I decided to speak up. "Alright, you can put me down now." Sighing in disappointment, Kai let me down. "Where are we going anyway?" I asked.

Kai shrugged, "Thought we should go to a park or something."

I hummed in response and narrowed my eyes at Kai's hand, contemplating if I should take it. Kai seemed to have noticed and laced his hand with mine first. Blushing in response, I looked down.

"Why do you look upset? I thought this is what you wanted."

"I thought maybe I should make a move first," I responded in a small voice.

He chuckled, "Maybe next time."

Once we got to the park, we sat on the swings. Thankfully for us, no one else was there. Relaxing, we discussed some random topics including school and what we want to do in the near future. After some time passed of us talking, I closed my eyes to feel at ease. Suddenly, I felt Kai's head resting on my lap.

"Who said you're allowed to use me as a lap pillow?" I asked without opening my eyes.

"You're not complaining," he answered nonchalantly. "Hey Naomi,"

"Hm?" I responded.

"Are you happy?"

Opening my eyes, I looked down at him. "What do you mean?"

"Don't you miss being back there?"

My eyes lowered, "I mean... sure I do. It was much more eventful and excited when we were there. But even so, now that he's officially gone, would it still be the same?" I asked as a question directed more to myself. Kai didn't say anything and closed his eyes. After a few moments of silence, he got up and looked me in the eyes.