XIII

He was behind the draping curtains to our backs that sort of made separations between each table to give a false sense of privacy. 

Taehyung had been constantly shifting his weight from one feet to another. I wasn’t sure how long he was here for, but it was getting awkward to ignore him since Jungkook became aware of him as well.  

Irene had predicted that he would be here today. Apparently, rumors were flying around about the attack and what it meant for the heir of the Kim fortune. Actually showing up would be the best way to stop them. 

I had noticed him making tiny social circles through the main hall. When he apparently realized where Jungkook and I were, he had made his way up the stairway leading to the upstairs balcony with tables, including the one we were sitting on. The stairway was massive and in the far back of the hall, which was sadly not visible from here.

I looked back at the curtain, frankly annoyed at his inability to stay still. " Are you going to stand there all night?"

He walked out a bit embarrassed at being caught. "I just walked by. And-"

"I know." I just wanted to get this over with, people especially those who weren't fond of my family, just pushed me out of my comfort zone.

Hesitantly, he walked all the way at the opposite end of the fairly small round table. "I wasn't eavesdropping."

"Sit a bit closer. I don't want to be overhead." 

He shifted his position to the seat next to Jungkook. "I can help," he said. "With money. For some time. Not long." So he had overheard quite a bit of our conversation. 

"I don't need it," I lied. I didn't need anything handed to me. Jungkook rolled his eyes. "I know you are going to need some help in future and even now it must be getting tough."

Taehyung shifted his weight contemplating. 

"What do you mean?" Jungkook asked. I waved my hand dismissively. I was still mad at him. He was dependable with information. I knew I could trust him. Father had done so for years. I just was stubborn. 

"With the recent attack, the police are taking multiple rounds in the vicinity," I said. "It's only going to get harder." I didn't care if Taehyung was going to pretend to be dumb. I had enough of his lies. "He can stay with us." 

Jungkook was still desperately trying to puzzle this all together. 

"I'll think about it. I will inform you sometime next week." Taehyung said thoughtfully. "Just there are two." Interesting development

"We'll be ready for them."

That made Jungkook more impatient seeing that it implied more than one person knew and none of them was him. 

"I'll send you my maid, Moonbyul."

"I know her." Tae suddenly remembered. Shit.

"You can trust her with any information. Do not send information through anyone else." I warned.