Alay

Tina's vision cleared. Her eyes shot open. She felt her head throbbing and she could hear distant voices, like echoes, constantly reverberating inside her ears. She looked around. Next to her was a drawer and on top of that was a glass of  water. A few feet away from her, were her clothes, all dried with blood and mud. 

She was on a hospital bed. She tried craning her neck to try and reach in for a glass of water, but she just couldn't move her hands. She tried kicking back the bedsheets using her legs, but her legs sat transfixed as if someone had glued them to the mattress. The only thing she could move was her head.

"Hello?" she croaked. Her mouth was extremely dry , sort of like a desert. Her voice also sounded raspy.

Suddenly the ward door opened. There emerged the Healer and Newt, following her.

"Newt!" At that instant, Tina forgot everything. It was so good to see him again. Newt acknowledged his presence with a small nod and a sweet grin that would've made Tina melt into a puddle, if she weren't sick.

"Tina, how are you?" the Healer asked.

"Sort of. . . peaky" Tina responded, "Why can't I move my hands? They're stuck".

"You were hit with a complex hex, Tina. You are paralyzed temporarily" the Healer said, in a solemn tone, "However, it's curable, since we have the top Healers and the  best medications available. You just have to get through surgery".

"Surgery?" Tina asked, bewildered.

"It's nothing to worry about, dear" the Healer smiled, "We're just going to carry on and put you to sleep. Then we'll inject a special Potion to stop the paralysis. It isn't a big deal. No worries, at all".

"When is the surgery?" Newt asked.

"Well, in another fifteen minutes. Sorry for informing you on such short notice. All our labs are strictly occupied and I couldn't get one for a while. It's really quick, but it'd knock you out for the next ten hours" the Healer said, "Don't you bother, dear. These things happen to lots of people. Quidditch players, Curse-Breakers, a lot of other people engaged in dangerous professions".

"Okay, all right" Tina decided, heaving a sigh.

"I'll give you two a moment, okay?" the Healer stepped out.

"So, what did I miss?" Tina chuckled.

"A lot" Newt smiled, "Uh, Tina, I don't know if you'd remember this. . . but, before you passed out, I asked you to marry me".

"And I said yes" Tina gave him a soft smile.

At that moment, it seemed as though it was Newt, who was paralyzed. He stared at her, eyes widened, mouth hung open. 

"You d-d-did?"

"Newt, I'd be stupid if I weren't to marry you" Tina grinned.

"Is this the medications talking?" Newt doubted.

"It's my heart talking" Tina said, boldly.

"R-really? You w-will? But my proposal was utterly stupid! I should've never asked the question in such a . . warzone! I just was desperate for an answer, I guess" Newt shrugged.

"Newt, proposals don't matter. I don't care whether it's a ring in a champagne glass or a fireworks display.  All I care about is you" Tina grinned from ear to ear, "Once I'm out of this hospital, we can take the time to talk about the engagement. Obviously this is quite a shock to me and I'm very flattered but--"

Tina never got a chance to finish her sentence. Newt leaned in and pulled her into a kiss. He made sure he was ever so gentle with her, not trying to tire her out before the surgery.