xxiii. Taurus Comes For A Visit

Start bij het begin

    "You don't sound too sure..."

    I wasn't. I just didn't want to admit that--even after all this time━Luke was gone.

    "A lot of people don't understand..." I sighed, rubbing my eye. It was itchy. Cain frowned. "Luke ... he was my hero. He found me in the alleyway and brought Thalia over. He took me under his wing and promised me a family that ... that wouldn't end up the same as my Mom and I ... he promised he would never leave me."

    "But he did leave you."

    I shook my head. "No, he hasn't! Cain━he's just trying to keep his promise the way he believes he should; creating a better world, that's why━"

    Cain sighed, "Claire ..."

    I could feel the tears before they fell, and so I looked away. "He's still there. I don't care if being unable to let go is my Fatal Flaw. Luke is still in there. He'll come back. He has to."

    "And what if that is what will kill you?"

    "Luke would never kill me."

    "The Luke you knew would never kill you," Cain corrected. "The Luke you know now--"

    "You don't know him like I know him!" I shouted. My voice echoed in the space. "He's a good person! He's ... he's a hero━"

    "He wants to destroy Camp!" Cain shouted right back. "He's gone, Claire! Luke is gone and he isn't coming back! You have to realise that!"

    "No!" I kicked Poseidon's shrine in frustration. I hated the tears on my face. I tell myself so many times: he's dead, he's gone ... just like Cain is telling me now. I tried to believe that! But I can't. I can't let go!

    As soon as I did, the whole room trembled. The anger between us fell away and was replaced with fear. I stepped away from the fire basin, realising that I probably should have never kicked it.

    "What was that?" Cain asked, gripping the hilt of his sword.

    My fingers flew up to my necklace. "I don't know."

    "Is it Poseidon━?"

    "I don't know!"

    The room shook again, and I slipped off my necklace. I flipped it in the air, and the once golden bow of Sun-Bearer was now a dangerous, sleek black that blended into the shadows around us. Cain and I backed up together, each facing opposite doorways with narrowed eyes. I had no idea where this was coming from.

    The floor beneath us felt like it was going to give way. It was then I heard a consistent sound: the sound of multiple footsteps thundering our way━like running. But the footsteps were so quick together, like there were many people, or something on all fours.

    "Get ready," I muttered to Cain, and he nodded. He gripped the handle of his longsword. I notched an arrow, my fingers bristling the feather. I could hear where the footsteps were coming from: right in front of Cain. I turned around to stand beside him, already aiming at the entrance.

    Seconds later, a large bull thundered into the round room. I pulled back the arrow harder, watching with bated breath at the bull pawing the mosaic ground. I didn't think a bull could ever be beautiful, but this one sure gave me a run for its money. Its coat was clean, sleek and shiny, and the horns on its head strong and magnificent. His eyes gleamed; dark, dangerous. I frowned at it, finding it familiar. It wasn't until Cain raised his sword, ready to fight that I realised.

    "Wait! Cain, no, stop!" I whispered. He hesitated.

    "What?" Cain sounded annoyed. I wasn't sure whether it was from our previous argument, or that I told him to stop.