Extra Fluff

Blaire had just returned from her shift in the kitchen and Steve was reading the paper in the living room. He looked up from his paper as the elevator opened even though he knew it would be Blaire. "Hey, Blaire, how was your shift in the kitchen this morning?" He sounded a little too chipper.

Blaire stopped at the counter of the kitchen and looked at Steve. "Fine, I guess. Nothing exciting." Why was he interested in her working in the kitchen all of a sudden?

Steve folded the paper like the grandpa he is, and walked over to the kitchen where Blaire was getting herself something to eat. He stood with his arms crossed over his chest and then shifted them down to rest on the counter behind him. He didn't like that position either so he shoved his hands into his jeans. He coughed lightly and Blaire looked at him over her shoulder. "Do you need something?" she asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Um, yeah, actually. Do you have plans Friday night?" he asked as a pink blush was creeping up his neck.

"No, I don't have any plans. Why? Is there another movie night going on? Thor won't be there will he?" Blaire asked, suddenly interested. She liked to avoid him as much as she could. It was a dig at his pride since he claimed everyone loved him.

"No, I mean, yes. Yes, there is a movie night, but I wasn't planning on going. I mean, I'd like to take you out to dinner, if you're not busy."

Blaire looked at him with major suspicion. "What do you mean a date? I'm not eighteen yet and I don't think that's appropriate for us." This was weirding her out.

"I'd like to take you on a date as practice for when you do have a gentleman caller you'll know what to expect. And you'll be hard pressed to tell me no."

Blaire stopped fixing her food and stood in front of Steve, searching his eyes and noting his body language. He had a full-on blush to the tips of his ears, and Blaire realized how hard it was for him to ask her on a date. He wasn't interested in her romantically and it was this hard for him to ask her. She wondered how he did with asking out real dates. From her brief time in high school she understood the dynamic of boys and girls and dates, dances, boyfriends, and girlfriends. She had never experienced it first hand, only to be the casual and silent observer of hopes fulfilled, or hearts dashed on disappointment.

"That would be lovely," she said with genuine affection for him. "Where are we going?"

Steve laughed and looked down at the floor sheepishly. "I haven't gotten that far yet in planning."

"You thought I would say no."

"I thought you would just storm off and then say no."

Blaire chuckled and it was her turn to feel embarrassed. "You're right. I would have stormed off."

"I'll let you know where and when. Be ready by seven on Friday, ok?"

"Sure. Thanks, Steve."