2

That evening Steve returned to the Avengers tower. "Where've you been?" Bucky asked from his spot on the couch. Steve walked over to the refrigerator to get a cold beer.

"Just out walking in Brooklyn. You know, the old neighborhood."

"Anything exciting happen?"

"Actually, yes."

Bucky paused the TV and turned his full attention to Steve.

"There was a man that claimed a little girl stole his wallet. I chased her and caught her, but then an enhanced human showed up and hit with me a force. It was a female and she sounded kind of young. Then she and the little girl both just vanished. The man was upset with me that they got away but we filed a police report."

Bucky just listened and hummed. "Sounds like homeless kids. One distracts while the other takes the prize. How old was the little girl?"

"I'm not sure. She was small with dark hair and green eyes. She was a cute kid." Steve huffed at the thought that she was cute and homeless.

"Friday, how many pick pocket thefts have been reported between Flatbush Ave and 9th Street? And how many of those have been reported as a minor?"

"There have been over 200 pickpocket thefts reported with thirty percent of them with a minor as the perpetrator."

"How many reports of enhanced humans in that radius?"

"There have been over 523 reports of enhanced human sightings with 457 of them confirmed."

"What are you trying to do?" Bucky asked Steve.

"I'm trying to narrow down the search area. I'm sure the local precincts have a better idea of how the homeless population is doing." Steve sighed and ran a hand over his face. "I'm sure it's just a wild goose chase."

Bucky didn't say anything and resumed the TV show.

The next few weeks went without event for Steve and Bucky. They went on some missions for the Avengers along with their teammates. Sam, Natasha, and Clint were all living at the tower for the time being. After a few days off Steve decided he wanted to go walking around Brooklyn again and Bucky went with him this time. It was a fall afternoon and Steve and Bucky walked and enjoyed the sounds and sights of their old neighborhood. They stopped and chatted with a few elderly people sitting out on their steps. Some people recognized Steve and Bucky but didn't make a big commotion about seeing them.  Blaire was actually working for a meal that afternoon. She was moving flattened cardboard boxes for one of the smaller grocery shops that peppered the neighborhood. She was hoping to get some fresh potatoes and at least a small cut of meat to make some soup. Edna was tired that week and Blaire hadn't been feeling well either. She was stacking the boxes when she heard some kids running by, shouting, "Captain America! The Winter Soldier!"

She peeked around the corner to take a glance at them since it was unusual for them to be in the neighborhood unannounced. Usually there was some charity work involved with their appearances. Blaire's eyebrows raised in surprise when she saw a tall blond man with an equally tall and built brunette. She recognized the blond one as the man from a few weeks ago that had grabbed Lily.

The little boys were jumping up and down asking for autographs and asking to touch Bucky's arm, where was the Captain's shield. She gave a heavy sigh at their enthusiasm and innocence. If only she could be like them, but her time was past. She was hardened by a world that didn't care about her or her sister.

She had never seen Captain America up close and personal without his mask. Same for the ex-Winter Soldier. Blaire's heart rate increased a little at the thought of being recognized by Captain America. She quickly averted her gaze and continued with her work. She really needed those groceries.

While Steve and Bucky were talking with the little boys, Bucky noticed Blaire peeking around the corner at him and Steve. He didn't think anything of it as he and Steve continued to stroll casually toward the store where she was working. They walked inside and Steve talked to the old man at the counter. "How's it going tonight, sir? Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"Oh, I'm doing pretty well Captain America. I don't mind at all. What kind of questions did you have in mind?"

"I was wondering about the homeless population out here. I encountered some homeless kids and I wanted to get a feel for how things are in this neighborhood."

The old man furrowed his brow and put a hand on his chin in thought. "I couldn't tell you too much without betraying a confidence. You know how it is, people fall on hard times and do what they can to survive. I don't give handouts. If the kids want something from me they have to earn it. I usually have them do some light chores around here. The kids and the adults know I don't tolerate thieves."

Steve nodded his head thoughtfully and said, "I was actually looking for two girls. I think they might be sisters. One was younger, maybe 10 years old and the other was older; maybe a teenager. Do you know of anyone that fits that description?"

The old man clammed up but hid it well. He set his hands on the counter and shook his head. "Look around, Captain. There're kids all over the place around here. There's a school down the street so I couldn't tell you which ones are homeless and which ones aren't. Good luck to you, Captain." With the last statement a customer came into the store and the old man diverted his attention, signaling Steve and Bucky the conversation was over.

"Thanks for your time," Steve called out as he and Bucky left.

As they walked along the sidewalk Bucky said to Steve, "He was lying. I think he knows who and where those girls are."

Steve nodded his head in agreement and they continued on their way.

Blaire had been standing near enough to hear the conversation between Steve and Mr. Lee. This was not good for her or Lily. If Steve found her she didn't know what would happen.