15

"We're going to cover some basic self-defense moves. Everyone should know how to protect themselves and working with the Avengers, or living in the tower really brings out the weirdos. I just want you to be able to fend for yourself until help arrives."

Blaire nodded her head in agreement. She didn't know any fancy moves, other than running away from her attackers. She could get in a few hits, but nothing that would save her life.

"Form up like this," Bucky demonstrated a defensive pose. He came up behind her, tapping at her feet with his shoes to make her stance wider. Her breathing was still rapid, he noted, and she flinched on his first touch.

"What I want to show you first is how to get out of a grab. If someone only has one hand on you it's pretty easy to escape."

He grabbed her left arm with his right hand. She brought both arms together and down in a sweeping motion on his wrist, and brought her knee up to his chest, knocking the air out of him. She stepped away as he stumbled back. "That was good," he coughed. She didn't smile but tried to control her breathing. "Set up again," he commanded gruffly.

This time, he pushed her shoulder and then swatted at her face, faster than she could react. He didn't use his full strength, but it was enough to make her stumble backwards. "What are you doing?!" she screeched.

He didn't answer and instead did it again. She cowered and covered her head as she said, "Stop! I'm not ready!"

He stepped forward and jabbed at her sides as she brought her elbows down to protect her ribs. Her breaths were coming out fast with a whimper in between. Bucky jabbed at her ribs again, backing her up against the wall. "I said stop!" and she pushed out with her hands in front of her and knocked him back with her powers. It happened in slow motion for her. He was pushed back ten feet, his head shooting forward and his hair whipping in the air. She could see the waves his shirt had from the air, and his legs stretched out in front of him as he continued to fly back. Then she saw him land on the mat, limbs bouncing as he landed; she heard his breath leave his lungs in a huff, as his back made contact with the mat. Bucky sat up with a grin and said, "That was better." His grin fell from his face as soon as he saw Blaire. She was curled up in a ball, huddled against the wall, crying. Part of her lower back was exposed and he could see the remnants of pink and white scars littering her skin. He shot up and ran to her, calling her name. Bucky guessed that he could trigger her to use her powers, but he wasn't expecting an emotional flashback. He could recognize the signs of PTSD and Blaire had all of them. He instantly felt regret and sorrow for what he did. Blaire's eyes were squeezed shut as she covered her head with her arms. "Blaire, honey, it's ok. It's ok." Bucky was trying to pry her arms open and uncurl her from her position. He grabbed both her wrists and pulled her into his chest. She still had her eyes closed and her chest was heaving. "Please don't," she whimpered. "Please don't hurt me," she cried again, but louder.

"I'm not going to hurt you, malyshka."                    *baby

But she couldn't hear him. She was trapped in a memory so vivid she could feel the lashings on her back and ribs.

The final bell rang and all the students sprang from their seats like race horses. Blaire tried to make her way to the class room door without the teacher noticing. But no such good luck would happen. "Blaire! I'd like to talk to you a minute, please."

Blaire let out a sigh and made her way to the teacher's desk. "Yes, Mr. Stevens?"

"I noticed you were absent a few days last week and was wondering what that was about?"

Blaire was watching the clock, knowing each second that ticked by was a second she needed to get back to the foster house.

"Didn't my foster family call the school and give an excuse?" Blaire asked. She didn't want to reveal too much.