3

The next few weeks were uneventful for Blaire and Lily. Blaire did receive the sack of potatoes and the cut of meat to make a stew for her and Lily. They shared with Edna and Terrence, of course. The rainy season was coming and Blaire spent a lot of time on the roof, making sure there weren't any leaks to spoil their shelter. She saw Captain America, or Steve, as she found out his name, a few more times in the area. She always kept her gaze down and sent Lily back home. He hadn't seen Blaire's face so she was pretty sure she was a little safe. Blaire ended up in a few fights with a rival gang. She was able to get in a few hits before she turned and ran. She didn't like resorting to violence and could run faster than the other kids. Lily was never around for many of the fights. They had a system worked out where they would run and hide, but never run straight to the fire house. They didn't want to bring trouble to their safe place. Blaire would venture out farther from the fire house and her usual territory to steal food and money. She tried to keep working at least three days a week so she could feel better about the life she was providing for Lily. All she wanted was for Lily to feel safe and not worry about their next meal. 

Steve continued his walks around Brooklyn and eventually started scanning traffic cameras and police reports to try and get a picture of Blaire or Lily together. It was proving harder than he thought.  Every time he thought he had a lead, the figure in the picture would duck down their head, as if they knew where the camera was placed. Whoever this mystery person was, seemed to be pretty intelligent.

Bucky came to him one morning with an idea.

"Do you really think it will work?" Steve asked.

"Sure. Look at the target. It's usually someone who has money, more than they need, and not aware of their surroundings."

"Ok. But it has to be believable. Why would a fancy pants rich person be in that part of Brooklyn?"

"I don't know. Maybe as a landlord checking on a property? Or a movie star, visiting their childhood home."

"That just might work. What time of day do you think we should try?"

"Around evening time. People are sometimes less aware."

Blaire was feeling a little desperate. Mr. Lee at the grocery store didn't have any work for her. He was maxed out with hiring two more temporary workers with the winter season and holidays coming up. He did give her a loaf of bread and some canned food though. That would keep her and Lily for another week if she planned right. Blaire was walking along the street in the late afternoon. There was a chill in the air and she had on two jackets to disguise her slight frame. She kept a pair of brass knuckles in her pocket, along with a knife and some lock picking tools. She didn't like to break into places, but sometimes she needed an immediate escape route. She heard some voices and commotion going on in front of her and she walked closer, keeping herself hidden behind some garbage cans and trees that lined the street. Kids were jumping and asking for autographs from a man and a woman. The man was dressed in a fancy suit and the lady was dressed in a nice dress with a tailored coat and a designer bag slung over her arm. The man looked kind of tall with dark brown hair in a pony tail and had on sunglasses even though it wasn't that bright out. The same with the lady. She had fiery red hair and was smiling and laughing on his arm as the group of children approached them. Blaire took notice of them as they were walking after they signed a few autographs. Then a bodyguard came out and shooed the children away. The man and the woman kept walking along and looking at the buildings like they were looking for an address. Blaire kept watching and following them. Eventually their body guard left and went and sat in the car. This was it. The woman wasn't paying attention to her purse as she had the top open and it was dangling on her arm. She was laughing at something the man said and leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. Oh, gag, Blaire thought. Here were these two too rich for their own good people, slumming it in Brooklyn. Why were they down here? Just to feel better about themselves? Give the poor kids something to look up to? Blaire wasn't having it. Fueled by anger and the need to provide for Lily and herself, she decided to make her move. She came up on the street side, blending in with the passing people, and nabbed the wallet out of the top of the lady's purse and headed straight for an alley. As she was hopping the fence she felt a sting on her shoulder. She didn't' think anything of it as she landed on her feet and kept running.