16

A few days later...

Bucky noticed Blaire was always hungry and always stashing food. She would put it in her pockets, stash it in the drawers, the bookcases, anywhere she thought others might not look. He once found a bag of almonds stashed in a potted plant. He didn't understand at first, but when she shared how the last foster family treated her, he completely understood. They would feed Lily right in front of her and not give her any food. She couldn't say anything to Lily because she would get into trouble or Lily would find out that Darla was beating her. Bucky watched in amusement as Blaire grabbed a "light snack". She found some toaster waffles, yogurt, and some leftover sausage patties. She combined them into a sandwich and then managed to take a giant bite of the monstrosity. When Blaire thought Bucky wasn't looking she took a handful of snack cheese and put it into the pocket of her hoodie. She couldn't help it. She was hungry a lot.

In the days that followed she was nicer to Bucky and to Lily. There were fewer screaming matches between the sisters and Blaire would make coffee for the guys first thing in the morning. She was still working in the kitchen with Martin and would practice some of her cooking skills on Steve and Bucky. They were just happy to have someone else cooking for them and never complained when a dish was a little too well done or had an odd flavor.

Since Blaire had told Bucky the names of the last foster family she stayed with, Bucky and Tony were able to call the police and Child Services and have them arrested. It was a sordid affair for everyone involved. Daryl and Darla were slimy and had their act perfected. They calmly talked to the social worker and police officers, describing Blaire as a trouble maker and manipulator. They said they would always send Lily to her friend's house to keep her from Blaire's influence. Tony had the best lawyers on retainer and they knew how to handle the situation. Blaire had recent medical records complete with x-rays and Natasha took pictures of Blaire's back. Bucky was on a mission so Steve was around to help. He walked into his common area where Natasha and Tony were talking quietly with Blaire. Bucky didn't tell him he had seen the scar's on Blaire's back. Bruce had been the only one but he wasn't sure what he was looking at when he did.

"What's going on, guys?" Steve asked as he grabbed a glass of water.

"We were just discussing building Blaire's case against the Morris'. Natasha needs to take some pictures of Blaire's back..." Tony trailed off, clenching his jaw. It was a difficult subject for anyone and Tony just couldn't understand the motivation of an abuser.

Blaire didn't fully trust Tony or Natasha and she felt more comfortable with Steve and Bucky. She had spent the most time with them but she hadn't told Steve what she had told Bucky. She sat on the sofa, chewing her thumb nail as she looked up at Steve. "Is there something you need to tell me?" Steve asked Blaire.

She closed her eyes as she took a deep breath and let it out. Her hands were shaking as she tried to keep her heart rate down. All of this didn't go unnoticed by Steve and Tony. Natasha already knew Blaire was an emotional wreck. "Can I talk to you alone?" Blaire asked Steve as she looked at the floor. She couldn't meet his eyes.

They walked over to the living area in her room and closed the door as Natasha and Tony traded looks.

Blaire was pacing back and forth as Steve sat on the couch, watching her nervous energy. "Blaire, whatever you have to tell me won't scare me away. We're here to help you and if you don't want to talk to me-"

"That's not it!" she interrupted. "This... is... is... just really hard for me. I want your help, but I don't know how to ask. I don't know what to say." She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "You look so much like my dad, it hurts." She faced away from him as she clamped a hand over her mouth to stifle a sob. That was the first time she had told him. Steve rose from the couch and closed the distance between them. He raised his hand to put it on her shoulder, but didn't touch her. He knew she didn't like being touched but he wanted to comfort her so badly. He finally gave in and placed his large hand on her shoulder. She flinched but didn't move away. He turned her so she was facing him and he wrapped her tiny form in his arms. "You can tell me anything. Anything at all," he whispered.

"Darla and Daryl beat me. Really bad. That's why I have scars on my back. I showed them to Bucky that one day of training."

Steve didn't say anything but just rubbed her shoulder blade.

"She would use whatever she could find to hit me. Sometimes she would burn me with her cigarette. Daryl would watch and laugh at me. Despite her being a complete monster, she is very clever. I don't think Tony will win the case." She said the last part in a sob.

Steve didn't say anything. He just held her as she shook in his arms. After a few moments she stopped and pulled away from him, grabbing her sleeve and wiping the tears from her face. "Come sit with me?" Steve motioned towards the couch. He sat down and pulled her onto his lap, her head resting on his shoulder. "Tony knows what he's doing and so do his lawyers. Natasha needs those pictures as evidence. If we do that I'm sure you won't have to testify. You'll never have to face them again." Steve sighed. "We'll protect you. I'll protect you. I can't replace your dad, but I'd like to be there for you. Do you think you can let me?"

Blaire sighed and nodded her head. She knew if she had stayed on the streets she and Lily wouldn't have lasted much longer.

"Do you want me to be in the room when Natasha takes the pictures?"

Blaire nodded her head again.

"Let's get back out there and finish this. Then how about we do something fun to take your mind off things for a while?"

Blaire nodded her head again and then wrapped her arms around Steve's neck as she hugged him. He was a little taken back by how fiercely she was clinging to him, but it made him feel good that she was trusting him.

Steve opened the door and called Natasha in to take the pictures. Blaire looked up at Natasha quickly and said, "He can stay." Steve closed the door behind them and Blaire turned and took off her shirt. Natasha stood still as her eyes took in all the damage on Blaire's back. She had seen similar and worse scars on soldiers. The girls in the Red Room would be beaten as punishment and they sometimes didn't survive. Steve had seen Bucky's scars and knew he had been beaten and whipped while he was with Hydra. But nothing could prepare him for seeing such a young and beautiful girl with the scarring she had. His stomach sank and he could instantly feel his blood pressure increase with anger at the injustice and evil laid upon Blaire.

Natasha directed Blaire to lift an arm or turn to the side so she could get all of one scar in a shot. Two minutes later and they were done. Blaire put her shirt back on and Natasha went to her and gave her a hug. "They will never hurt you again. I promise."

The case against the Morris' was cut and dry. The judge presiding over the case had a reputation for being fair and brutal. He easily saw through the lies of Daryl and Darla and their slimy ways. Their house and assets were seized by the courts to pay back the state for fraud and child abuse. Blaire and Lily never had to testify in court. Their interview with a new case worker was video-taped and submitted as evidence. The old case worker in charge of placing them in the home was fired and charged with child endangerment. The other children that had since been placed in Daryl and Darla's home were placed in different houses. Tony's financial officer was able to talk to Child Services to find out how they could help financially. Justice was served to the fullest extent and Blaire felt satisfied. She knew it wouldn't bring her complete healing but it was a step in the right direction.