Chapter 10

She'd had enough for one day by now and was glad to undress and be in a bed ten minutes later . It was difficult to sleep as Dave (as he now was ) couldn't get Chris out of his mind.

It was all crazy but it felt so right ? Did that mean that he was gay ? And as for Alison . Was she mad ? What was she thinking ?

He couldn't sleep so he got up to make himself a tea . He couldn't fight the nagging thought in his head . He would book a flight to Brussels in the morning .

Was he crazy as well ? What was he thinking ? Just even thinking about it was nuts . Had he completely lost it ?

But once he'd made his mind up in his head he knew it was the right decision .

After that he slept well and even when he woke up he knew that it was still the right decision.

After breakfast of porridge and toast which tasted better than any food he'd tasted for days , he had a phone call to make .

First it was Vince Atkinson. He dialled the number but after a few rings it went to voice box . He was secretly relieved .

"Hi Vince , it's Dave . I know it's short notice but I'm gonna take a few days off to sort myself out . See the doctor that kind of thing . Maybe talk to someone . Ok, I'll speak to you later . Bye ."

He cursed himself a bit for saying about the doctor but it just gave the message a bit more scope .

Then he went online to look at flights . He'd done it a few times before . Once on a vice case which involved Interpol , where

he'd met some Spanish police after a paedophile had absconded .

"Damn ! " the 15.30 was fully booked . So he checked the one after that . It was at 18.05 . There were still spaces left , so he went for that .

When he'd finally booked if and filled all the details in , he leaned back .

Fuck I need a coffee .

Am I doing the right thing ? Perhaps I should cancel . What about Chris ? Fuck what a mess ?

It was the right thing to do . It felt right . He decided not to tell Chris , it would have to wait . Maybe going later in the day was better it would give him more time .

Oh shit . I'd better ring Alison before I forget .

"Hi Alison it's Dave ."

"Hi Dave . I'm really sorry but it's not a good time . I'm just starting to pack."

"I know I'm coming with you ."

"WHAT !"

"I'm coming with you. I'm booked on the 6 o'clock flight tonight ."

There was a silence on the other end of the phone and the sound of confusion. "But are you sure ? What about work ? What changed your mind "

"I know it's mad but I'm coming with you ."

"Do you think I'm right then ?"

"I don't know but sometimes you have to go with gut instinct and I could do with a holiday anyway ." he laughed . "Where are you staying then ?"

"Oh shit I hadn't thought of that ."

"I'll text you my hotel details later . See if you can get in there"

"Ok thanks . Speak to you later . Bye ."

"Bye."

And that was that he was going away with someone he hardly knew , looking for someone who might be or might not be a serial murderer .