Chapter 1

I felt like yawning in front of everyone as I finished my duties in the City Hospital of Mangaluru. I'm a physio therapist and I'm doing an internship in this hospital for past six months only at a rate of Rs. 15000 per month. Still, I was okay with it. At least, I am gaining some experience! But, my friends often say this was leading me nowhere in my life. The thing is ever since Rahul made it to the Indian team, people around us started having high hopes from our family. 

My elder sister Bhavna is a practicing advocate in the District Court of Mangalore and with time, she has been progressing a lot nearing to be one of the best criminal lawyers of the city. With everyone settled, it was now my time. It isn't that i'm not interested in PG courses but the thing is I just want a break to gain some practical knowledge before getting into higher theoretical education. My family had always supported me. Not just me, Bhavna and Rahul too. My father was Dean and my motherhad just recently retired from being a Professor of History in a reputed college in Mangaluru. Our parents always gave us the freedom to chose our career and never forced us to accept anything that our mind doesn't opine for.

'Halo Eshaanvi!' Dr. Chandrashekhar  called my name as I was about to walk out of the hospital building.

'Halo Sir!' I greeted my favourite person in the hospital. The 54 years old doctor smiled. 'So, it seems you've finished your long 18 hours duty!' he said.

I chuckled. 'Yeah. I'm glad Dr. Samundara actually spared me 6 hours to record my 24 hours duty' I said.

Dr. Chandrashekhar looked at me with pity. He too was familiar with Dr. Samundara's tendencies to vest her own duties onto the young interns knowing they can't refuse her. 

'Nannannu kshamisu Eshaanvi! I am really sorry dear! I can understand how it feels to work for 18 hours a day in four days of a week. but, I still couldn't do anything!' he sighed with regret.

'Illa Sir...paravagilla!' I said feeling embarrassed upon his apologetic words. I really didn't want him to blame himself for anything since Dr. Chandrashekhar was the only person who understood my dreams and supported me in this hospital. 'I'm fine. I just need a small three hour nap at home and I'll feel fresh again.' I said with a smile.

Dr. Chandrashekhar smiled. 'That's what I admire the most about you Eshaanvi. You are a fighter who manages to put on a smile even when being stabbed with a knife.' he said. I shook my head feeling flattered. 'No Sir..'

'Yes Eshaanvi and trust me, you'll get the fruits of your hard work and dedication really soon.' he said surprising me a little.

'That's right. Dr. Ambolkar, my friend from Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital called me last night.' he said.

'Dr. Prashant Ambolkar!' I enquired. This was a man Dr. Chandrashekhar has been speaking of for quite some time. He's a Doctor of Physio Therapy and a very popular figure in Mumbai. Dr. Chandrashekhar and him were batchmates in London.

'Yes, Prashant. I already spoke to him about you a month ago and last night, he called me informing that one of his lady  interns suddenly  decided to get married and is going to move to New Jersey. So, he has got this empty spot and the first name that came into his mind was you.' he said.

My jaw almost hung. 'really!'

'Yes dear! And they are going to give you an amount of 30,000 per month along with other facilities. Also, if they are impressed with your performance, Prashant promised that they'd definitely get you a job in the hospital itself or elsewhere around.' Dr. Chandrashekhar said with a mis chievous bsmile.

'Oh my god! Thank you! Thank you a lot Sir! I'd never forget your support..' I was getting restless about the whole thing and didn't know hoe to show enough gratitude to this person.

'No Eshaanvi. I didn't do anything. You deserved it.' he patted my shoulder. 'Now, go home and get a good sleep. Good things are on their way..' he smiled before walking towards the ward.

I was on cloud nine. I wanted ton run and jump. My career was finally taking a good turn. Even though,  I always hated staying away from my family, I knew I needed this break through. Besides, I'm glad Rahul had a flat in Mumbai too. At least, I'd have my brother with me.

With that , a joyous Eshaanvi rode back home. She couldn't wait breaking the news to her parents. They'd be so happy! Of course, they are gonna miss her but now that she too was moving to Mumbai, may be the whole family could live together in Mumbai very soon. She was sure, Rahul would jump in  joy after hearing this. But, Bhavana is definitely gonna miss her like she was gonna miss Bhavna too. Ooops! She forgot to ask Dr. Chandrashekhar when would she start or would she try to contact Dr. Ambolkar herself! Ugh! Leave it! May be she'd call him in the afternoon.Besides, he must be on duty now. She asked the Uber driver to stop the car at a slight distance from her house. She had her favourite  snack shop over there. she bought somehot and spicy Chattambade to celebrate her news with her family. A sprite would be good too. With the stuffs in her hand, she made her way home.

She walked in but surprisingly, the gate wasn't opened yet. She knew her father would always get up as early as 6 am and unlock the gate! But, today it was 10 am already and the gate was still closed. Good that Eshaanvi always had the apre key. She unlocked the gate and walked it. Surprisingly enough, the main door was open. Her heart jumped. IS EVERYTHING OKAY?

She pushed the door open. 'Mom! Dad!' she called worried  as the impact of the door opening made all three members sitting in the living room turn their heads towards her.

Phew! They were actually fine.But..

'What's wrong with you all? The gate isn't unlocked. The door isn't open and here you three are with your eyes glued to some stupid Tv news.' My thoughts burst.

'Esh..please..' Bhavna said trying to calm me down.

'No...I won't. Here, I was hoping to surprise you all with a good news and there you are listening to...'

'An unexpected news..' Dad completed the sentence.

I was surprised. 'What do you mean?' I looked at him surprised but soon had to stop as I heard the sobbing sounds of my mother who was keenly watching the Tv.

'Mom! What's wrong? Will somebody tell me..?' before I could finish, my eyes finally   could read the bold headlines on the TV screen saying..  CRICKETERS HARDIK PANDYA AND KL RAHUL IN PROBLEM AFTER CONTROVERSIAL COPMMENTS IN KOFEE WITH KARAN... might take a legal turn and even threaten the two young men's future in Indian cricket.

I gasped as I read.

'Rahul!' the bag of snacks fell off my hand as I froze.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\