Chapter 30

So..... finally, it was the day I've been waiting for.

I woke up at around 7 since I was asked to report at the Wankhede by 9. Rahul had left early in the morning and when I woke up, Hardik was gone too. To my utter disbelief, he actually had the courtesy to lock the front door before leaving.

With limited time to get ready, I took a quick shower and had a cereal breakfast within 8 and the next thing was...booking an Uber.

^^^^

Wandering around cluelessly, I failed to spot the team anywhere in the dressing room area.

I called the manager on the given number but it wasn't received. Frustrated, I sat on one of the benches. It was 9:10 am.

The last message from Rahul was that their flight was delayed. Supposedly, Kavya was taking the same flight. Right now, none of them were available for call, which definitely meant they were in the air.

I messaged Bhavna now. And as they say, the day you don't find the someone, you don't find none. She, too, fight be at work and declined the call after few rings.

The only attendant in the area, who had no idea about the team's current location offered me tea.

'No, thanks.' I said, politely. He left.

There was a pin-drop silence. With the fine weather around, they didn’t need fans or ACs to be switched on this morning. Neither did I see bundles of paper anywhere that could flap around and make a sound. It was just too quiet, extremely quiet to be exact, much like they say about the moment before a storm arrives.

Just as I thought....

'Nothing is everything for Jassi.'
'That will be decided by the team management.'
'You are completely fu$ed up, bro.'
'Last, year I got two and a half for this..'
'Has Roshni moved to Australia now.'
'No more Chhole bhature for me.'

A cluster of words belonging to various topics coming from the voices of multiple men suddenly hit my ear drums like a unexpected storm.

And then, my eyes saw them. A group of 18-20 players making their way towards the dressing room. Some had bats, some balls and some stamps in their hands.

By the sweat running from their bodies and the condition of their limb muscles, it was evident that they just had a rigorous net practice session.

Out of my weird consciousness, I stood up as I saw them approaching.

I saw many throw a questioning look while some were whispering to others about my probable identity.

'Hey Eshaanvi!' Finally, Ishan spotted me.

Phew!

I smiled back at him with a wave of hand.

He walked towards me and two others followed.

'When did you come?' he asked, holding his innocent smile.

'Uh...well...been a while. I came when I was asked to.' I replied.

'Oh dear! Sorry Eshaanvi, we just got too hyped about the first day practice and took few minutes extra.' he explained. 'Anyway, this is Rahul Chahar and this is Jayant Yadav.' he introduced the two guys.