Better With You Part 15

The car ride is quiet, Jake finds himself looking over at Colby. So many questions come to mind. Where had he been? Where were they going? Was he okay? He wants to ask, but every time he parts his lips nothing comes out. His hands stroking over his pants instead. Looking out the window to see if he could spot  anything familiar. It's too dark, or maybe he wasn't really looking, still distracted. Not just from the current situation, but the folder he had gone through on Colby's computer. The one with his name on it.

He shakes his head to force out the thoughts, pretending to fix his hair. He just wants to enjoy being here with Colby, even if he's tired and worried.

Soon the car comes to a stop, Colby shuts it off and exits without a word. Jake just sits there, watching him for a moment. Seeing the city lights out over the cliff. He knew this cliff, it was where they had their first date. They come a few times after, but this place would always stand out to Jake as their first date spot. He couldn't forget it, the trees around, the worn dirt path, the dip of the rocks and earth spilling down. He sighs, seeing Colby leaning on the front of the car, looking out at the city.

Jake decides to exit the car, shutting the door before taking slow steps. Bringing himself around the car to lean on it next to Colby.

His eyes flicker over to the other boy. His face is almost calm, with just the hint of nervousness. But he looked beautiful. His dark hair is ruffled and swaying gently from the hot breeze, curling around his forehead and ears. His eyes looks tired, but the way the lights in the distance reflect off of them. They seem endless, pools of blue, dotted with sparkles. His pale skin blushed pink at his neck and cheek, his pouty lips pressed gently together. Jake could stare at him forever.

"I... uh." Colby starts but doesn't finish his thought, ringed hand moving to run up his arm.

Jake waits for him to start again, but Colby has gone quiet. Not looking at him. Causing some tension to fill the space between the boys.

"We don't have to talk." Jake offers in a gentle tone, shifting closer so he could place his hand over Colby's. Which was resting on the car between them.

Disappointment filling him when Colby pulls his hand away, pushing off the car. He takes two steps forward, arms crossed over his chest. Eyes never leaving the view, letting out a shaky breath. The kind he let out when he needed to tell Jake something serious.

Jake has a feeling he is about to hear something he doesn't like. He pushes back to sit on the car, slightly hunched forward with his arms resting on his legs. He figured he should at least be comfortable when it comes.

"I..." Colby turns to pace a little, shaking his head. He seems to be getting more and more upset.

"... I made out with Brennen." He finally gets out, bringing his hand up to move around his own hair. Still avoiding Jakes' gaze best he could as he moves around, hands fidgeting and his eyes darting everywhere but at Jake.

Jake feels a hot wave of anger push through his tired limbs. 

His brows furrowing, "You what?"

"I didn't intend to, I swear! I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus on editing. I just wanted you, but I didn't want to bother you. You... were sleeping and you haven't been sleeping well. So I, I went out with Sam and I... he texted me and.... I just didn't want to be alone..." Colby is rambling quickly, his hand pressed to his chest now as if it hurt. 

"... he said he needed someone to talk too. He's my friend, so..." Colby pushes his hand back through his hair gripping the strands and tugging them angrily. His eyes pressing closed when they begin to tear up, he couldn't help but feel ashamed.