CHAPTER NINETEEN

In light of recent chapters being generally boring and primarily just fillers, this should be a good one... maybe.

"SHE REFUSES TO follow any directive and actively works to undermine our authority. Her actions deliberately go against the rules with the clear intention of undoing all of our progress with the Subject."

Dr. Vanderwall listens astutely to Dr. Hyung's words. Being completely honest with himself, he isn't the least bit surprised. While he was not quite expecting her to be so brazen, he was not entirely shocked either. His daughter's actions are similar to what he might expect from her mother. Jane was always one to stand up for what she thought was righteous or noble.

"What do you suggest we do?" The female doctor asks. "You would know how to tame her best, given she is your daughter."

"Tame her?" He quarries. "One does not simply tame her. No, we need another alternative."

"What do you recommend?" She asks, fully prepared to implement whatever needs to be done.

"I say we move forward," the female sits up straighter. "The others have awoken and progressed according to plan, yes?" She nods. "Good. If Subject Zero attaches to her like the previous Project then we need to experiment on how that bond is created. If it is biologically tied, then she could have the same bond with the other subjects."

Dr. Hyung nods thoughtfully. "Should we first see if there really is a connection between she and Zero before we begin with the others?"

"Yes," he decides. "Comence the next experiment."

*

Quinn lay flat on her back in the sterile white cell. She has come up with the perfect name for the boy in white, she just hopes he likes it. If he doesn't, well, she will have a hard time finding something more fitting. The process in discovering the best one was long, but fruitful by far. It needed to be short and not overly extravagant, but also unique. Unique without being weird, that is. The name should be of canine descent, she decided, and that's where she found the perfect name.

Now all that's left is to tell him. Given he doesn't have much knowledge on names, she expects he will accept the name gratefully. She still feels the naw of anger in her belly when she thinks of how much they have mistreated him, but the knowledge that she is here to help him allows the fury to subside somewhat.

She is startled from her thoughts by the door opening. Almost familiarly, the guards enter and take her arms captive in their hold. If they would just ask nicely, she would probably follow them without having to be manhandled. Actually, on second thought, she probably wouldn't.

They take her down a familiar hallway to a cell she recognizes well. That woman, Dr. Hyung, stands waiting for them outside. Quinn scowls so harshly at her that the older woman almost flinches.

"How is my favorite psychopath today, hmm? Ruined anyone's lives yet?" Quinn mocks. "Or is the life-ruining next on your schedule?"

The woman, completely offended and appalled by the younger female's brash behavior, goes to respond. "I am not--"

"You're right," Quinn cuts her off. "You aren't my favorite psychopath." She sighs wistfully. "That title belongs to the one and only Tom Riddle, whom you definitely are not."

Dr. Hyung pinches her nose. "I don't have time for this..." she mumbles to herself. She then speaks to the girl: "There are no rules this time. Your honest behavior as well as his is crucial to our experiment."

"Wait a minute," Quinn starts. "What kind of experiment?"

The woman smiles at the girl's coming calamity. "I guess you will just have to find out."