CHAPTER SIXTEEN

QUINN JUST BLINKS in shock. They could be like the last Project, the Asian lady had said. She vaguely remembers body slamming her in the hallway a few minutes ago. The last Project... so she means like Veronica and Theseus.

"Dad, is he... Is he like Theseus?"

Dr. Vanderwall stares at his daughter's horrified face. He remains silent.

"How do you know about that?" The woman asks.

Quinn scoffs, turning her gaze to her father. "Let's just say I can pick locks now."

"You didn't..." he starts, beginning to stride towards her once more.

"Darn right I did," she challenges. "And it's a good thing, too!"

"Are you sure about that?" He questions. "Because you have no idea what's going on here."

"Well then tell me!" She shouts. "Tell me why you kept a werewolf locked in a basement for over a year. Tell me why we suddenly had to move to the middle of nowhere. Tell me why there is a man, dressed like a psychiatric patient, hugging my elbow!"

Zero winces at the harsh sound of her words. He doesn't understand everything she said, but he does know she was talking about him in some regard. At the last statement, he slowly releases her, but he stays close in case anything happens.

"She found the files, then," the shorter woman says.

"You don't say," Quinn answers harshly.

"She knows too much--has seen too much," Dr. Vanderwall mutters under his breath.

"Sir, are you suggesting we take her into custody?" A new voice says. Quinn looks behind her at the woman who had been with the boy. And... she recognizes her. Its Katie, the woman she met on her brief tour. Quinn instantly scowls at her.

"That's exactly what I'm suggesting."

"What?" Quinn interjects. She had expected to be arrested at some point, but not by her own father.

"But sir! She is your daughter? Are you sure there isn't something we could do?"

The Asian woman strides forward, her voice taking on a more authotitatuve tone. "We need to bring her in anyways. Look at them! Did you not see his reaction to her?" She then begins to develop a look of awe, her eyes flashing between Quinn and Zero. "The Subject had never willing approached someone, let alone initiated physical contact."

"Your point?" Henry asks begrudgingly.

"Your daughter could be a very valuable asset."

"What? No, no no no," Quinn starts. "We--" she gestures to herself and the boy, "--Are not assets. I am a living being and you can't keep me here for some super-weapon project."

Dr. Vanderwall turns to meet his duaghter's gaze, his emotions masked by a blank face. "Yes, we can. You broke the law by entering, and now we have the authority to keep you here."

Quinn blanches, her lips parting in disbelief. "Dad... you wouldn't," she chokes on the beginning of many angry tears. "You're going to turn me into some lab rat?!"

Henry slides a hand down the length of his face, his expression hardening. He looks much older now, tired lines making their way across his features. "I will explain everything soon, I promise," he says at last. "But I have to take you into custody. No, don't look at me like that. After you get the whole story, you'll understand. You will help me--help us."

"No, I won't! This is all wrong and you're delusional if you think I would even consider helping you."

Dr. Vanderwall doesn't respond, refusing to meet her angry, teary gaze. He motions with his hand for the guards to come forward. They follow his command, a guard taking each of her arms. Quinn screams at the man she used to call father, vocalizing her frustrations in the form of obscenities and threats.