CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

WHITE. IT IS all she sees and all she has seen for almost three days now. White walls, white bedding, white clothes, and even white bandages. She only leaves her cell to shower, and that's it. Her meals consist of nasty hospital food that usually contain some kind of fruit sauce, a protein, and a stale roll of bread. Seriously, she can't even get a decent crescent roll or something?

She sits Indian-style on the cot, a permanent frown printed on her lips. She holds an apple in her right hand, tossing it up and catching it every few seconds. A wry, malicious smile twists at her lips, an idea forming in her mind. Is it useful? No. Is it fun? Yes. Will it make her look like she lost her marbles? Yes. Well, that's just cause for action.

She grips the apple tightly in her hand. Quinn raises her arm back before swinging it over her head, releasing the fruit and launching it at the glass. It collides with a thud, pieces splattering upon impact.

"I HATE YOU!" She screams at the glass, not even flinching at the fruit's small explosion.

No voice replies, but she feels some satisfaction from destroying something.

Quinn isn't sure how much time passes after that. Maybe a few hours, or maybe a few minutes; It could have been days for all she cared. All she knew, is that the door was opening. It is probably just for a shower, or maybe someone has come to clean the mess up. Either way, Quinn ignores them until they speak.

"Miss Vanderwall, you need to come with us, please," a soft, female voice says. Quinn looks up to see that woman, Katie, standing above her.

"So, what, you think calling me by some ridiculous formal title will make me feel better about this situation?" Quinn asks as she slowly rises from the cot. She takes her time stretching her muscles and popping her back before she turns to the woman.

"I, well, no, that's not--"

"Save it. I really don't care what you have to say, honestly. Just take me wherever I'm supposed to be." Katie stays silent, making a proud smirk appear on the girl's lips.

She follows the older woman, accompanied by guards on both sides, to an identical cell a few meters down from her's. She guesses that this is the one that the boy lives in, but she can't be sure. When they stop walking, it is in front of another woman in a lab coat. Quinn ignores her temporarily as she tries to peek into the cell. Her vision is blocked, however, by her angle to the glass window.

"Hello, My name is Dr. Hyung. I am assistant director to this program." The woman is short and petite. Her skin tone and facial features depict obvious oriental ancestry, but her age remains a mystery as a result. Quinn would probably guess mid thirties, but she could be wrong.

"Okay?" Quinn asks, drawing out the question.

The woman does not respond immediately, her countenance displaying obvious annoyance at the girl's attitude. "You will listen to my instructions, and you will do exactly what I say. Any insubordination will result in consequences. I trust we will not get to that point." Her tone is steady, not revealing any emotion.

Quinn rolls her eyes. "Sure I will."

"Today you will introduce yourself to the Subject." Quinn's attention is immediately captured. "We will be observing the interaction closely while you..." she struggles for the right word. "...Get to know each other. There will be restrictions, however. He cannot speak, but he can hear you, just don't expect any responses. You will speak nothing of the outside world, especially nothing of current events. You may not touch him unless he approves of the action, and you may not speak of anything that could potentially be upsetting or cause strife. No profanity."