Ch. 23 Slap Jack

Its been a month since Landon woke up and he's stranger than he was before. He hangs out with the others but he doesn't talk, he's just...there. At the moment, Josie, Lizzie, Landon, Hope, and Raf were playing a game of cards.

"Hope, can I talk to you for a minute?" Raf asked and Hope nodded, skeptical. Lizzie's eyes followed as a feeling in the pit of her stomach rose. She couldn't tell if she was jealous of Raf or Hope.

"What's up?" Hope asked when the two were out of earshot from the others.

"Landon's been acting strange," he said, "I'm sure you can tell."

"Yeah, he's been in coma-like states 2 times in the past year," Hope said incredulously.

"Yeah but like really weird," Raf explained, "When he's not being the living dead with us, he disappears for hours and literally only comes back for food."

"He's probably just affected from all the times he's passed out " Hope said, "He also probably trains in private, away from the school so that he doesn't burn it down."

"Probably but the next part that's strange is yesterday I followed him  into the woods and he wasn't training," Raf said quietly, making sure not even a Vampire could hear him, "He was talking to someone on a cell phone...I don't remember Landon ever owning a cell phone...much less a flip phone."

"That, that is weird..." Hope muttered, "Next time he disappears, tell me. We'll follow him."

"Okay, thanks, Hope," he said smiling and she reciprocated the smile.

While they were talking, Lizzie was glaring daggers at the two and Josie's concern level was increasing.

"Lizzie? Hello? It's your turn," Josie said interrupting her thoughts, causing Lizzie to jump.

"Oh yeah, sorry," she muttered, putting down a card. A jack, Landon immediately slapped down and, unexpectedly, the table broke in two.

"Uh...." was the only sound he made before guiltily looking at the twins.

"Good job, nerd," Lizzie said irascibly before storming off.

"Sorry, Landon," Josie apologized, "I don't know what's up with her..."

"I expect nothing less from a self centered bitch..." he said quietly.

"What?" Josie asked, luckily, she didn't hear as she was using a spell to clean up the mess that used to be the table.

"Nothing, I'm going to get some water..." he said, getting up and leaving.

"Hey...what happened?" Hope asked, returning with Raf.

"I have no idea...Landon got strong and Lizzie was suddenly mad out of the blue," Josie sighed as she put the cards back in the box.

"Where'd Landon go?" Raf asked.

"He said he was getting water so probably the kitchen," Josie said not paying attention as she received a text from Penelope, "See you guys later."

"Let's go," Hope said to Raf and they parted ways with Josie.

They rushed to the kitchen, but just before they entered, she cast an invisibility spell on them. When they quietly entered, Landon was in there drinking water and using the flip phone to text someone. Then the flip phone started ringing and he answered.

"Hey," he sighed.

"Did they add anything new to the school?" The voice asked, Hope knew that voice...Ryan Clarke, son of Malivore.

"Nope, I gave you the spells and my gate pass ID and number," Landon answered nonchalantly.

"Good, I'm out in the woods right now," Clarke said, "Meet me out there and we'll continue your training...somewhere more private this time. A place only we can go to and leave."

And with that, the call ended and Landon left. The two looked at each other, panicked. Landon was working with his evil rock brother and Hell-Dimension-Dad.

"Should we follow them?" Raf asked.

"Yeah, let me text the others and tell them where we're going," Hope said and as they ran after Landon, Hope turned on her phone's location.

When they caught up with Landon, they were pretty far from the school. Landon was in the middle of a clearing with Clarke and they were talking but they were too far for them to hear. Hope took out her phone and saw that Lizzie had replied to her text.

Lizzie:
Do you want us to come as back up?

Hope:
Not yet, if I don't text you in the next 20 min it means I'm in danger.

Lizzie:
K

As for Lizzie, at the moment the amount of worry she was feeling was extraordinarily high. She was sitting there with MG, Klaeb, Jed, and Alyssa, all of which were having a snack.

"Liz, what's with the troubled expression?" MG asked.

"Hope and Raf followed Landon into the woods to see what's up and they found him talking with his evil bro," Lizzie said and the others who were half listening, had a sudden interest in what she was saying.

"Landon's a traitor?" Jed asked.

"Look like it," Lizzie sighed, "That chia headed nerd...why would he side with his dad who's trying to end super natural creatures? We're his friends!"

"Wow Lizzie, you admit to having friends that are 'nerds'!" Alyssa said with feigned shock, Lizzie shot a glare at her.

"We should go to them," MG said but Lizzie shook her head.

"Hope said to wait," Lizzie said, "If she doesn't text me in 15 minutes, we should go to them."

"Well, how long ago was that?" Kaleb asked.

"Five minutes ago?" Lizzie answered.

"We should start walking just in case, then," Jed said jumping on to his feet.

"Yeah, let's go make sure our friends are safe," Kaleb said.

If you couldn't tell already, the two boys were trying to lookx
good in front of Alyssa who found both of them amusing. Alyssa knew it wasn't wise to lead them on but she honestly didn't know which one of them to choose. She liked them both.

"Let's get going then, Super Squad!" MG said pumping a fist into the air before turning around and walking off with the other two.

"Boys..." Lizzie said and Alyssa nodded in agreement. The two proceeded to follow the trio.

------------------------------------------------------
Next chapter should be out soon as well! Looks like Landon is siding with his mud blood ;)

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you for reading!