xiii.

With my wits at its haziest, I try to control my breathing as I get out of the Graveyard. The drinks I had don't help either as my vision muzzles and the noise muffles. 

     Somehow, I succeed in getting out. I try to find Jean but instead I see a crowd forming a few meters away from me, on the parking lot entrance. 

     "Shit," I grunt as I sprint towards them. I bulldozed my way through them probably elbowing a few in the process but I can't care less. As I was nearing the center, I hold my breath and break through the final row of people.

     "No!" I shout as I hug Theo who is mid-punch. I turn to see who's on the receiving end and it is Cap. "Theo, no, no. You can't, you know you can't. Please," I whisper through my wheezing. 

     "Great, the other Tan," Cap sneers. 

     "Let me go," Theo grits his teeth. 

     "Theo, whatever it is, it's not worth it. Please, just- don't." I plea while retaining my hug despite Theo forcefully trying to break free. 

     Gradually, my vision becomes clearer and I see Jean and Cobi behind Theo also trying to hold him back. I look at Cobi and with his eyes, tight and worried, I know he understands. Theo can't touch Cap, not even a scratch. This commotion is enough a ground for a call to the University President's Office. 

     "You know what your problem is Theodore? You're too tight. Too nice for a man!" Cap screams and my ears ring from the statement. 

     Theo might have been a walking ticking bomb tonight with our Dad's wedding announcement but knowing Cap, Theo has all the right reasons to explode. It isn't worth it though. 

     He has spent almost all his life building his resume, getting all these scholarships, and bagging awards. The least I can do is prevent him from forgetting even if it means bowing our heads for the wrong reasons. 

     "You can get suspended from what you did!" Cobi exclaims while he steps in front us, putting himself on the center between Cap and Theo. 

     "Oh yeah, I didn't even get to touch her, so on what grounds?" 

      I clench my fist and close my eyes. My blood boils and my head goes from warm to burning hot. 

     A pang of guilt washes over me. I can almost hear myself disgustingly utter the words 'it's not worth it'. I give Cap a puckered brow and a dirty look. 

     He has a mug look on him, unrepentant and cunning. I grit my teeth and I can clearly see a vision of me throwing punches at his ugly face. 

     Should I?

     "How 'bout you throw a punch instead, Naomi? Since you're the black sheep anyway."

     "You dirty fuck!" I hear Theo scream as he successfully breaks himself free from Jean and I's hold. 

     Everything goes into slow motion. Jean mouths 'fuck' as he tries to grab Theo's shoulder. Theo with his steady hawkish eyes and clenched teeth showing from his slightly parted lips rams Cobi's side to shove him out his way. I see Cobi's hand on Theo's wrist but he swats it. The way Theo's fist sway behind him is a crisp image registering through my mind making me murmur a helpless, "No!" as I close my eyes.

     Where a thump should have been heard, a grunt echoes instead. I open my eyes and I see Rocky grabbing Theo by the shoulder while Brooke holds post in front of Cap acting like a human barrier. 

     "Dude, let it go."

     "If it was my sister, would you have let it go?" Theo pushes Rocky and walks away. The crowd even without an order made a way for Theo's exit.