Goodbye

I turn off the engine of the car and take off my seat belt. I'm back at the ER and I quickly make my way to its entrance doors.

Luckily, Dr. Banks is sitting in the waiting room.

I stop when I notice who she is with; Shelly, Bianca and Benjamin.

That means they must have already told her they were not with us.

Dr. Banks wipes her eyes with her hands and nods at something they've said. I begin to make my way towards them.

When she notices me, she stands up and the others follow. While her expression fully shows pain, Shelly seems livid and Bianca, apologetic.

"Why did you lie to us?" Dr. Banks asks and more tears fill her eyes. "Why did Maya lie to us?"

"I can explain."

"No," she shakes her head, "they already told me everything."

I turn to Maya's friends and Shelly looks me dead in the eyes.

"How's Maya? Is she okay?" I bring my attention back to Dr. Banks.

"We're supposed to believe you care?" Shelly crosses her arms and eyes me up and down.

"Shelly." Bianca scolds. "They're still operating."

"What did they tell you, Dr. Banks?"

"Everything." Shelly replies. "Ben told us what you do, who you work for. We told Dr. B everything."

"Please just let me explain."

"What's there to explain?" Shelly raises her voice. "It's your fault Maya is in there. It's your fault."

"Shelly, calm down." Bianca pleads with her.

"Shelly, let's not do this, we'll cause a scene." Dr. Banks wipes away her tears and sniffs. "I need to go find out what's going on and make my rounds."

"Let's go, Shelly." Bianca grabs her hand.

"Come with us, Mason." Shelly says my name with a frown etched on her face.

Benjamin gives me an apologetic look before we follow the girls outside.

"Why did you involve Maya in your illegal business?" Shelly asks once we're in the parking lot. "Why? Maya...she's Maya. When she finds a spider in the house, she insists on taking it outside. She believes littering should be a crime. She wants to save the world. You went and you invited her into your dangerous world and now..."

Shelly's eyes redden and she covers her face with her hands. Ben is immediately at her side, hugging her and gently stroking her back.

"I didn't invite her in. It was all an accident and before I knew it she was sucked in and I had to protect her. I've managed to do that all this while and tonight, I was supposed to bring her home, knowing nothing could ever hurt her again."

Bianca stares at me, speechless. She manages a nod but I can tell she doesn't understand.

"You should've stayed away from her!" Shelly yells.

"I couldn't."

"How?" She throws her hands in the air. "You dated her knowing the dangers you were exposing her to. You were selfish."

Was I selfish? Could I have done something else instead of keeping Maya in my life?

I shake my head and proceed to try and speak to her friends. I open my mouth but Shelly speaks first.

"Dr. B is very upset. I think it would be best if you didn't come here anymore. I don't want your criminal friends coming here to try and finish off my best friend."