"What happened where?"

Maya's POV

Mason kneels down and looks me  in the eyes. He lifts his hands and for a second I think he's going to hold mine but he returns them to his sides.

"Maybe we should wait for Justin, Mason." Max suggests, still standing by the door. "You know, for him to explain what happened."

"No." I say firmly, my eyes moving between the two of them. "Mason, tell me what's going on, please."

He looks at me and his eyes soften with what I think is fear.

Why would he be afraid?

The doorbell rings and Mason turns to Max who nods and opens the door.

"I'll get it." He says on his way out.

"Just give me another minute." Mason practically begs and I nod.

After a minute or so, Max returns to the room. The guy they were with at Lucy's that night is behind him. He stops in his tracks when he sees me and smiles.

"Hey." He greets and I look up at him and offer a small smile.

"What happened, Justin?" Mason stands up and walks towards their friend, Justin.

"What happened where?" Justin's confused eyes move between the three of us.

"The Man sent some people for Maya." Max explains and Justin's eyes widen.

Who is this man?

"How? I thought they hadn't threatened Maya after they found out you two broke up. Why now?"

"What?" I get up and stare at Justin, shocked and confused. "What do you mean?"

"What the heck? You guys haven't told her everything?" He throws his hands in the air in defeat and goes to Mason's table by the window.

"Shit, the curtains." Mason says and Justin turns around and quickly closes the navy blue curtains.

"Mason, that's it!" I snap. "Tell me what's going on right now or I'm getting out of here."

"Banks," he covers his face with his hands and looks up, "you're stuck in some shitty mess I got you in."

What?

"That's not helping, Mason. What are you talking about?" I frown and shake my head.

"Please sit down." He removes his hand over his face and looks at me.

I softly gasp and comply when I notice the tears pooling in his eyes. The fear I had been trying to push back takes over and I start to panic.

"Banks," he squats down in front of me like before, "I work for some dangerous people."

"Mason, Mason are you sure you should tell her everything? What if it puts her in more danger?" Justin lifts his hand to stop Max.

"Dude, she'll be in more danger if she doesn't know what's going on." Max says and Justin nods. They both look scared and that just makes the sinking feeling in my stomach worsen.

"What do you mean you work for dangerous people?" I ask Mason.

"I can't tell you everything but you just have to know that you're in danger."

"What?" My voice comes out as a whisper.

"See the person I work for is using you to threaten me. If I don't do what they want they said they'll hurt you." His face is reddening and his tears are threatening to escape.

"Me? Why me? That makes no sense."

Mason doesn't reply, instead he gets up and walks across the room. He rests his hand on the wall and looks away from everyone.

"They think you're his girlfriend." Justin speaks and I turn to look at him.

"Girlfriend?" I frown. This is getting more confusing by the second.

"The night when you stopped the fight between him and Trevor," Justin walks over to me, "he took pictures of the two of you because he thought you two looked a little cosy."

What?

That's not helping at all.

"We're given orders and if Mason doesn't follow his, they hurt you." Justin continues.

"Mason?" My voice breaks and I realise that I'm about to cry.

He turns around and looks at me. I notice that there are no longer tears in his eyes.

"What did you two do for The Man to try this?" Justin turns his attention to Mason and Max.

"Nothing!" Mason defends.

"I don't think he would try to kidnap your girl if you didn't do anything." Justin sounds agitated.

"We don't know anything, man." Max throws his arms in the air.

"Dude, I can't help you if you're not telling me everything. If I can't help you that puts her in even more danger. For fuck's sake, she could die."

I gasp at Justin's statement and begin to have difficulty breathing. I feel my tears start to fall down my cheeks.

Die?

How is any of this possible? How could Mason be involved with such dangerous people?

I feel my hands start to tremble and Mason asks Max to go get me a glass of water. He opens the door and exits and Justin follows him.

"Mason...Maso..." I choke on the lump in my throat. "Mason please...please tell me this is a joke. A prank, something dumb, tell me it's anything but the truth."

He doesn't say anything and I lift my head to look at him. Even through my blurry vision, I can tell this isn't a joke.

"I wish I could." He looks down and sighs.

More tears begin to fall down my cheeks and I struggle to stifle my cries. I look down, my hair curtaining my face and let the tears fall.

What is happening?

"Banks, Banks..." Mason puts his hand over mine but quickly removes it.

I bring my hands to my face and softly wipe away my tears. When I look at Mason, he seems afraid. I try to calm the current of my own fear within me.

The door opens and Max and Justin come rushing in. When Justin sees the state I'm in, he freezes and his eyes widen.

I must look terrible.

Max gives me the glass of water and I accept it with a lightly trembling hand. I bring the glass to my lips and take a sip.

I wrap my fingers around the cold glass and place it on my lap.

"Please, just, give me a moment." My eyes move between the three boys and Justin and Max nod understandingly.

They walk out of the room but Mason remains behind. He's still looking at me like he wishes he could put me in a jar and carry me everywhere with him just so nothing could harm me.

He feels guilty. Maybe that's what I saw in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I involved you in this mess and I-"

"Mason," I interject his train of apologies, "just please give me a moment."

This time he nods and I watch him slowly and reluctantly exit the room.

Okay, how do I escape this?

So school started three days ago and has been keeping me busy. I'm pretty sure it'll only get worse as the weeks go by but I promise I'll try to update frequently☺.

What would you do if someone told you that someone was threatening your life😱?

Well I'm skipping town and changing my name😑.