Sandwich Kings and Teennappers

I nod my head in belief that I'm making the right decision. It's the only sensible and plausible option.

I get up from the bed and walk around the room. It's rather neat for a boy's room. Besides the boxing gloves on the floor next to the laundry hamper and a few scattered books on his table, everything is in place. Mine looks worse.

Above his study table, there's a book shelf. I read the title of every book placed on it. I recognise some of these but I haven't even heard of some of the other authors.

His mom own a bookstore, of course he reads.

There's a framed picture of his family on his drawer table. The four of them all look happy. Oliver's got a huge grin on his face; I haven't seen a single smile from him since we've met. Mrs. Wilder also has her usual gleeful smile and she's carrying a little Angie on her lap.

My eyes rest on Mason. He looks nothing like who he is right now. He's wearing a baby blue t-shirt with white trousers and there's a huge grin on his face.

"Hey, are you okay?" I recognise the voice as Justin's as he softly knocks on the door.

I walk towards the door and open it.

"Yeah," I nod and smile, "I'm fine."

I step out of the room and close the door. Justin nods and sighs with relief and I walk down the stairs.

I follow the soft sounds of Max and Mason's voices to the kitchen.

"Hey." A small and sad smile forms on Mason's face when he sees me.

I simply nod at him and sit down next to Max on a bar chair.

"Are you hungry?" Mason asks and I nod.

"I'm famished."

"I will make you a sandwich." I turn to Max who has a huge grin on his face.

"He calls himself 'The Sandwich King.'" Justin informs me with a roll of his eyes before opening the fridge.

"It's the only thing I can make and I intended to be the best at it." Max defends himself.

"Well, Sandwich King, I would simply love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich." I say with a smile and Max nods.

"That's no challenge for the king." He gets off the chair and walks around the kitchen island to the counter.

I look up and notice Mason looking at me. The second our eyes meet he looks down at his phone.

"I uhm..." everyone looks at me as I let the words trail off, "I think we should call the police."

The mood immediately changes. They were trying to lighten everything up and act as if they hadn't just told me I could be kidnapped or murdered at any second.

"What?" Justin's the first to react.

"Whoa, Maya." Max follows.

Mason remains quiet and I can feel his gaze on me so I don't look at him.

"What other option is there?" My forehead wrinkles. "I mean, this is too dangerous and should be handled by the police."

"Maya, we've been in this business long enough. You don't get the police involved. Ever" Max warns.

"These people are criminals and should be-"

"We're criminals too!" Justin interjects and I flinch at his harsh tone. "Not only would we end up in a great deal of trouble but we'd be putting everyone in danger."

"So what are you going to do then?"

"Nothing." Justin slams the plastic jar of peanut butter on the counter.