Unexpected Calls and Gold Stars

The awesome cover was made by the awesome catchingdreams2. Thank you, again❤😂.

Maya's POV

The school is almost empty now. Most students left about an hour ago. I stayed behind with Bianca and Shelly to help her study. This time she actually showed up.

Surprisingly, it's like she studied before this. She seems to know most of the information and got good marks on the practice quiz Bianca gave her.

We're in Mr. McCoy's classroom. He stays over at the school longer than most teachers and usually allows students to use his classroom to study or for extracurricular activities.

Shelly's phone rings and she gets up and excuses herself. Bianca eyes her suspiciously then turns to me.

"Something's up. I'm telling you." She narrows her eyes at her.

"I think so too." I say and turn around to look at Shelly.

My own phone rings and I take it out of my backpack. It's an unknown number so I hesitate before putting it back on the table.

"Who is it? Why aren't you answering?" Bianca's curiosity is driving her mad at this stage.

"I don't know," I shrug, "It's an unknown number."

"So? Why aren't you answering it?" She frowns.

I shrug again and the phone stops ringing.

A. I have the numbers of important people saved so the caller most likely isn't important. B. I don't like small talk; I've answered calls from unknown numbers who turned out to be old friends or classmates who just wanted to see how I was doing and talk about the weather.

No, Diane, if you really wanted to be friends you would've done that in middle school when people bullied me.

The phone rings again and this time Bianca quickly grabs it and answers it before handing it back to me. I shoot her a deadly glare and put the phone to my ear.

"H...hi," my voice comes out squeaky.

"Maya?" The person says and sighs in relief.

It's a boy.

It's a boy! Who is is? Where did he get my number?

I start to panic and Bianca mouths questions I don't even bother answering. Shelly comes back and takes her seat next to Bianca.

"Maya? Are you still there?" The person asks.

"Y...yeah. Who is this?"

"It's uhm...it's Mason, it's Mason." He sounds nervous.

Mason? Mason Wilder? What does he want?

"What do you want?" I snap, my nervousness being replaced by irritation. After he completely ignored me he thinks he can just call me.

"I just wanted...I wanted to..." he struggles to find the words, "Oh! Yeah, Max wanted me to ask if you could help him out with English."

"Okay..."

Why didn't Max just ask me himself? We have a couple of classes together.

"Is that okay?" Mason inquires.

"Yeah, it's okay. Tell him I'll talk to him tomorrow at school."

He mumbles something I don't quite catch and hangs up before I can say anything else. I slowly remove the phone from my ear and put it back on the table. My mouth is agape and I'm staring at nothing, unanswered questions galloping through my mind.