Mean Bad Boys & Threats

Don't talk to strangers
Keep away from the danger,
  ~ AC/DC, Danger

***

"So! Where were you yesterday?" Bianca arches her eyebrow.

"Hmm?" Shelly looks between the two of us.

"Don't make me ask you again, Swan." Bianca attempts an intimidating voice which only makes Shelly laugh.

"I already told you, it was a 30 minutes nap gone wrong." She lets out a nervous laugh.

Hmm...she keeps on laughing. That's a sign of lying for Shelly.

"May, talk to this child." Bianca sighs heavily.

"Shelly, tell us the truth and save yourself-" I'm cut off by the bell.

"Saved by the bell." She grins.

"You won't be so lucky next time."

"Bye, Bee." Shelly excitedly waves.

We all hug and Shelly and I walk up the stairs to out first classes.

"This conversation is far from over." I tell her before we part ways.

The door to Algebra is open and there are a few students already in. Most of them occupy the seats in the middle and back and I take my usual seat at the front. I take out my books and stationery and ready myself for the period.

Just then, I notice Mason and Max talking by the door.

I didn't know they were friends.

Lilly's words suddenly come flooding back to me and I immediately start to feel uncomfortable.

How am I supposed to act around this guy now? Do I just ignore his existence? Won't that seem rude? We're not friends, right? No.

I mean, I don't want to be rude.

Imagine if he starts being all nice to me and I give him a bad attitude. I would speak to me after everything that happened last night. At least just a 'hello', especially since we're neighbours.

I nod, sit up with my chin in the air and decide that I'll be polite.

Max walks into the class first, another boy calls him at the back so he immediately makes his way to the desks there. Mason follows behind and I can feel my palms start to get sweaty as I prepare myself to say something.

I try words but nothing comes out of my mouth so I end up waving at him as he passes by my desk. He looks at me but doesn't return the gesture. Not a nod, wave or a measly smile. Nothing. He simply continues walking to the back of the class.

Ah!

My mouth falls open.

Stupid, Maya, stupid! What were you thinking?

I groan and mentally slap myself. I shouldn't have listened to Lilly. Of course there's no way Mason would want anything to change between us. We'll continue being strangers, except now I'll know he exists and that he's purposely ignoring me.

We're two algebraic terms with different variables and an addition sign in between; we won't add up. We just won't ever be in the same mixture. I'm the awkward bookworm and he's... Well I don't really know him. I'm assuming he's the life of the party.

"Good morning, class." I look up to realise Ms Kennedy is already standing behind her desk at the front of the class.

It's early in the morning yet she's got her usual bright smile on her face. She's one of my favourite teachers; she's kind and fun.