Arguments and Party Invitations

Maya's POV

It's Friday. It's been four days since I was at Mason's house and I haven't been there since. I know I told Angie I'd be back but I don't want to spend any more time in Mason's presence.

He's been acting like a jerk all week.

He barely talks to me and he ignores me at every chance I foolishly give to him. Whenever he actually speaks to me it's to say some rude comment.

I've tried by all means to avoid him during all the classes we have together. Remember how he used to be in every place I was? Now it seems he'd like to be as far away from me as possible.

I've decided that after we're done practising now, I'm going to take the bus. I've had about enough of him.

"Get up." He orders and I roll my eyes and stand up.

"Get ready, alright?" He doesn't bother to look at me but focuses on his phone which he's using as his timer.

"Am I even getting better? Do you think coach will actually give me an A?" I ask nervously.

He looks up at me and takes a deep breath, as if preparing to speak. I smile, hoping that I'll get more than five words out of him.

Nothing. He closes his mouth and looks back down at his phone. Completely ignoring me.

You know what, I'm not going to stand for this.

"What's your problem?" I fold my arms over my chest and glare at Mason.

"Excuse me?" He looks up at me with confusion.

"What is your problem?" I repeat, putting emphasis on each word.

"Nothing." He mutters and looks down at his phone again, clearly dismissing the matter.

"You're so moody and confusing and I just can't keep up with you!" I shout, my irritation levels dangerously rising.

He looks up at me and this time puts his phone in the pocket of his tracksuit pants.

Okay, maybe he'll listen this time.

"Maybe I'm not the one with the problem, maybe it's you!" He also raises his voice.

"Me?" My voice comes out squeaky from my annoyance. "I have no problem. You on the other side are some bipolar, idiotic jerk."

"Well, at least I'm not some stuck up goody-two-shoes!"

My mouth hangs agape from shock.

"I'm not stuck up!" I defend myself. "How do you spend the past week being a decent human then all of a sudden you ignore me and you're just rude?"

"Please." He huffs and looks away.

"Ugh! You're such a grinch!"

He gives me a smirk and all the anger on his face disappears.

"That's what you call an insult?"

I wish I could smack that smirk off his stupid face. Just one good smack.

My phone rings and Bea Miller's voice brings me out from my violent thoughts. I take it out from my pocket. I'm immediately confused by the unknown numbers on my phone screen.

"Hello?" I place the phone near my right ear.

"Maya Banks." The unfamiliar voice speaks.

Who is this?

"It's Trevor Kemble." The voice answers my thoughts.

"Oh," I smile brightly and turn to look away from Mason, "hey, Trevor. Uhm, where did you get my numbers?"

Where do these boys get my numbers?

"A friend." He replies and I turn to glance at Mason.

Him?

"How may I help you?"

"So uhm..." he sounds nervous, "there's a party tomorrow night at Lucy's and I was wondering if you would like to come?"

Why would he invite me to a party? He barely knows me.

I'm about to politely decline when I once again glance back at Mason and remember his words. I'm not stuck up.

"A party? I'd actually like to come. I'll see you then."

"Cool," his voice is a mixture of relief and excitement, "I'll text you the details."

"That'd be great. Bye."

I hang up and turn around to find Mason staring at me in shock. I smile smugly and walk right past him.

"Banks." He calls and I stop and turn around.

"What?" I snap.

"Did I just hear you agree to go to a party? On top of that with Kemble? Are you two friends now?"

"Well, no." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Then why are you going to a party with him?" He raises a confused brow.

"Simply because I can ergo I will."

Actually, I don't think I can. I still have to ask my parents for permission.

He doesn't reply to what I said so I turn around and keep walking away.

"Where are you going? We have to start now."

I turn around to look at him again.

"I can see you don't want to be here, Wilder. So I'll leave. Oh and don't worry, I'll take the bus."

I continue walking towards the school building but I hear him running behind me and I roll my eyes.

"Banks, what?" He stops running and starts walking by my side.

"I said I'll take the bus. Just give me my backpack and I'll be out of your hair."

"No." He stops, causing me to do the same.

"What do you mean no? Give me my backpack, Mason." I roll my eyes. He's really getting on my nerves.

He shakes his head and smirks. I narrow my eyes at him. If he thinks he can force me to stay, he's got another thing coming.

"You know what? I think I'll walk."

"It's like a thirty minute walk, Banks. Are you crazy?" His eyes widen with shock. I guess he wasn't expecting that.

"I'll make it." I state firmly and turn around to leave.

He wraps his hand around my wrist and pulls me back to him.

"Fine." His jaw tightens as he lets go of my wrist.

I smile triumphantly and lift my chin up.

"So you'll give me my backpack?"

"No." He rolls his eyes. "Banks, I told your mom I'm going to give you a lift to and from school. I'm not letting you get on some bus. If anything happens to you, I'll... I'll feel bad."

His eyes go soft for about a split second but the look is gone as quick as it came. His cold eyes return and I sigh in defeat. I've endured his mood swings for the week, one more day won't hurt. After that, I'm done with Mason Wilder.

I turn around again and walk away from him.

"Where are you going?"

"To your car, stupid." I mutter the last word and hope he doesn't hear me.

Once we're in his car, ready to leave, everything dawns on me and I start to panic.

I've never been to a high school party. I don't even want to go.

I take out my phone and text Lilly.

I just accepted a party invitation!