Chapter 19

As our taxi drove through the bustling streets of Berlin, I admired the beautiful architecture of the city. The sun shined down brightly, projecting its heat onto me through the glass windows. I was struck by the vast canals that flowed through the city, glistening under the sunlight. I watched the water ripple as the car drove along side the canal, following its path. The old buildings which surrounded the streets and waterways, contrasted heavily with the newly built, highrise glass skyscrapers. The eclectic mix of old and new was an astonishing sight. I felt I could easily get lost in the beautiful diversity of the streets.

"Nicole... Hello Nicole???" I was startled by a quick tap on my shoulder as I suddenly came back to reality.

"Yes, ...uh...what's up" I turned to the inside of the car to see Beth, the hairdresser on the tour, looking at me with a confused expression. "Sorry, I was just in my own world for a bit" I apologised, "you were saying?" Just like the other crew members on tour, I had seen Miss Beth around backstage but not really spoken to her. I had seen her curling, and straightening and spiking the boys hair before the shows and she did so with ease and always with a large smile on her face. I had seen how the boys would always laugh when she was working on their hair, unlike how they were with Miss Jackson; silent and abiding.

"I was just wondering how you were getting on with everything, I hope Miss Jackson is treating you kindly." The friendly woman giggled and I sensed that Miss Jackson was rolling her eyes in the front seat of the taxi. "Yes she is the best mentor I have ever had, so thorough with her teaching and so talented!" I didnt like Miss Jackson anywhere near as much as Miss Emily but sometimes you have to play nice in order to get what you want, and what I wanted right now was for Miss Jackson to like me. "Thank you for asking Miss Beth, I would also like to say that I really admire the work you have done on the boys hair too." I smiled at the red haired woman as she let out another giggle. "You really are a charmer arent you!" She spoke while still chuckling between words. "And by the way, we're all friends here, just call me Beth!"

I smiled at her kind words as the taxi pulled up outside the hotel. To my surprise, it was just as grand as the last one that we stayed in. The building was completley white, with extremely detailed flower designs and pillars built into the walls. I didnt know much about architecture but I knew that the building was a gorgeous work of art.

*

After checking in at the front reception and Miss Jackson handing me my room key, I was told the plan for the next day. "Meet me here at 2:30pm. Dont be late." I was now used to the fact that Miss Jackson wasn't a woman of many words, unless it involved telling me to do something, so I nodded and quickly ensured her that I would be there.

"Are you coming to the bar with us tonight, its gonna be a laugh!" Beth asked cheerfully, her eyebrows raised in hope of us saying yes. "No, we have work to do tomorrow, including you Nicole." Miss Jackson replied in her usual stern voice. She had obviously come back to her senses after she said "maybe" to Soobin's earlier offer. "Oh what a shame, maybe next time though!" Beth smiled although obviously dissapointed that we would not be going out. I was dissapointed as Beth seemed cheerful and fun and it would be great to get to know more about her and the other crew members, but I had to focus on the main goal, which was my career. "Hopefully we can catch up another time! I'm sure we will see you at some point tomorrow!" I replied, trying to lift the mood. "I better go get ready anyway, I'll see you both tomorrow!" Beth smiled and she dragged her suitcase towards the elevator, waving as she stepped into it. She was nice, maybe on one of our days off I could get to know her better.

"2.30" Miss Jackson spoke the singular word before abruptly leaving me alone in the hotel lobby. She seemed quiet today. Not just Miss Jackson quiet either, she seemed more distant. Maybe it was jetlag, or maybe I was just thinking too much like usual. I dont know. I think I spend too much time thinking about other people...