Chapter 14

The pre show and mid show makeup top ups were pretty similar to yesterday, minus me losing track of my mentors whereabouts. The boys performed amazingly, once again showing off their perfectly synchronised dance moves and gorgeously harmonised vocals, even though it meant another round of oxygen masks in the break. Their passion for their performance had me in awe. The way they willingly put their bodies under so much stress to put on the perfect show amazed me. It made me want to work even harder at my career.

After the show, my mentor and I began to make our way to the dressing room. Miss Jackson explained that on the last day of each city we had to pack everything into the loading van, ready to move to the next venue. "That means makeup, mirrors, lights, everything. You cannot miss anything or you will be paying for a replacement."

Unlike yesterday, the dressing room was empty. I was slightly dissapointed as I enjoyed watching the boys being childish and joking around together. To my surprise, Miss Jackson took her favourite spot on the couch, "the loading vans are out in the car park, if you can carry a few things at once it shouldn't take more than 4 trips." What?!? She expected me to carry all of this out there on my own? Im supposed to be here on a makeup internship but so far all Ive done is clean and now im having to move all of this myself! I began to gather up the boxes of makeup as I heard the familiar clicking of Miss Jacksons phone keyboard. For such a hard working makeup artist she didnt seem to work very hard at anything else, she just sat there on her phone most of the time. Pretty hypocritical considering she made me switch mine off. Whatever. She was the next step to get me closer to my dream so I needed to do as she asked and that meant starting to move these boxes.

*

I was getting tired as I had taken 3 trips to the loading vans. It was quite a long walk when you were carrying heavy boxes and equipment. Thankfully, I only needed to make one more trip. Only a large ring light was left. I reached down and unplugged it from the wall socket before wrapping the cord around it carefully. I wrapped my hand around the stand of the light, leaning the weight onto my shoulder. It was heavy but I'm sure I can manage, especially knowing this was the last thing to carry.

I stumbled down the long corridors, the light seeming to become heavier with each step, when I suddenly heard a deep voice shouting "Hey Nicole let me help!". Oh no. Here was Taehyung ready to make me feel awkward again. I stopped in my tracks as I heard his footsteps behind me growing louder. "Let me carry that, it looks heavy." I wasnt too surprised at his offer to help. Considering the way he kept apologising last night, I knew he was a sweet guy, despite the feelings I felt around him. "Oh no, it's fine, I've got it" I replied as my hands clearly struggled to hold the light up. Taehyung suddenly placed his hands around the light stand, taking the weight off of me with ease. He stood infront of me, carrying the heavy light as if it was nothing. My mouth opened as I stumbled over my words, still feeling awkward around the boy, "uhm, seriously it's fine uh dont worry." I reached out my hands to take the light back off of him. I didnt want to burden him with the task even though I was now struggling with the weight and could do with the help. My hands were almost touching the metal stand when Taehyung's body twisted away from me, moving the light out of my grasp. A wide childlike grin grew on his face. The bridge of his nose scrunching up and his eyes being squished into cresents by his round cheeks. "I've got it!" he chuckled as he turned away and began to run down the corridor towards the loading vans. "Catch me if you can" he shouted, suddenly jumping up and clicking his heels together in the air. The side of my lips curled up and I let out an involuntary giggle, surprised at Taehyung's sudden dorkiness. It was kind of cute.

I watched him from afar as he quickly disappeared around the corner with the light, before making my way back to the dressing room.