Chapter 2

I gripped my internship contract tightly in my hand as I stepped into the grand entrance way of the hotel. I was in awe of the large lobby and its crystal chandeliers and marble stairway. I looked around and was surprised to see what seemed like hundreds of security men and body guards.

I jumped as I heard a deep voice behind me ask "may I have your name please?" I turned around to see a tall, bald man dressed in a black suit. I must've been staring in shock for a second too long, as he repeated the question. I had questions rushing through my head, was the celebrity really that famous that they need all these body guards? I felt like I had walked straight onto a set of a spy movie. "Oh, um I'm sorry, yeah I'm uh here to see a Miss Jackson about a makeup internship?" I handed him my contract.

"So you're the chosen one then, millions of girls would love to be in your shoes right now, being able to touch the boys faces everyday for six weeks" he laughed as he looked around the room. He handed me back my documents as he pointed towards a short, middle aged Asian woman in the corner of the room. She was dressed in a black pencil skirt and black vest top with her black hair tied up in a bun which seemed to be just a bit too tight.

"You're going to love her" the security guard laughed as he strided away towards some other scary looking body guards. What was that supposed to mean? And what did he mean about the millions of girls who would love to be in my position? Whose tour was I on? Surely they cant be THAT famous that all of these security guards are for "the boys" that the man mentioned? Right?

I began to walk over to the woman in the corner who I assumed would be my mentor over the next 6 weeks. She seemed to have a face that looked like she was disgusted by everything around her. He lips turned down at the corners and her eyebrows furrowed together in the middle. Before I had chance to think of what to say to introduce myself, the woman spoke. "So you're Nicole then? I'm miss Jackson and I'll be mentoring you over the next 6 weeks". Her voice was had an unfaltering, deep tone and she didnt seem to have much emotion in her words. I tried to act cheerful and friendly and introduced myself. "Yes that's me! Its lovely to meet you!" I stook out my hand for her to shake it. Without even looking down at my hand she carried on talking with the same emotionless tone. "I run a tight ship here. You follow my rules and we will get along ok? I've mentored several young girls who havent been in this for the right reasons and I havent failed to kick them out. So are you here for the right reasons?" She raised her eyebrows at me; the first time her face had moved since she started talking. What did she mean by that? I was here to further my career and become the best makeup artist I could be, why else would I be here?

I'd been in the hotel for 15 minutes and so far both of the people I'd met had me confused. Why did everything seem so cryptic?

I explained to her that makeup was my passion and that I wanted nothing else but to improve on my craft and that I was very grateful for the opportunity. She nodded slowly. "You best prove that to me or you will be right out of the door".

Miss Jackson seemed stern but I hoped that after a few days she would believe what I said and loosen up a bit.

"So, Nicole, I will show you to your room so that you can unpack and I need you to meet me at this spot at exactly 2:30pm ok?"

Things were getting started already. The butterflies in my stomach now felt like they were coming up my throat but I couldnt show that. Miss Jackson wanted confidence and that's what i was going to show her. She turned around and led me up the marble stair case. I looked around in awe at the beauty of the hotel. I still didnt know whose tour I was on but I knew that they had a lot of money to be able to put all their staff in a hotel like this.

After walking down a few grand corridors miss Jackson showed me to a door. Room 747. I couldnt believe it. 747 was my lucky number. I knew this meant that things were going to go well for me. Miss Jackson handed me my room key. "2.30 sharp." She said as she began walking back down the corridor.

I swiped the key card on the electronic lock and pushed the door open. I gazed around the room in amazement. I had never seen such a grand hotel room before. The king size bed had gorgeously puffed up white pillows and the glass chandelier caused little specs of light to dance around the walls. The wall at the end of the room was made completley of glass and gave a brilliant view of the london skyline. Was I dreaming?

I placed my suitcase on the bed and unpacked my clothes, carefully placing them on the velvet hangars in the wardrobe. I took out my makeup bag and toiletries and placed them in the bathroom cupboard. I may only be staying here for a few days but I couldnt help but think how lucky I was to be here.

I checked my phone and saw that it was 2.25pm so I grabbed my handbag and began to make my way down to the lobby. I still didnt know whose tour I was on and the question was burning in the back of my mind but for now I was just enjoying the experience.