Chapter 6

Before I knew it the room was tidy. I'd thrown all of the rubbish in the bin, folded up any clothes I found and even wiped down the makeup area using my own makeup wipes.

"As good as new!" I spoke enthusiastically, to show Miss Jackson my willingness to do whatever she asked. I really wanted to be on her good side and hopefully this will have brought me a bit closer to it. I glanced down at my silver wrist watch and realised how fast time had passed ; 6:15pm already. I was guessing Miss Jackson would tell me we had to leave any minute since "you should always be 10 minutes early" and we needed to be there at 6:30.

As if on que, Miss Jackson stood up from her comfortable spot on the couch and started to neaten up her outfit, "As you know, punctuality is key so were now going to make our way backstage to check the boys makeup before the performance." She picked up a small box from the makeup table and quickly turned towards the door. Before I knew it she was walking down the corridor.

I power walked down along the corridors, ensuring that I kept up to Miss Jacksons quick steps. If I got lost on the first day and missed the makeup check, I'd definitly be on her bad side.

After a short walk around the maze that is wembley stadium, we had made it backstage. It was 6:20 and we had 40 minutes until the show was due to start. I could hear the screams from the fans filling up the stadium already.

In the distance I spotted the boys surrounded by technicians setting up their microphones and in ears. Their manager was there too, still looking as stressed as before. As we made our way towards them, I heard the managers voice shaking, "boys, this is our biggest show in Europe yet, please do good, I mean I know you will but I just I- "
"Calm down Manager Sejin, it's going to go great, go chill In the green room.  We will be fine, we've done this hundreds of times" Namjoon smiled as he waved off a sweaty Manager Sejin who seemed to have calmed down slightly. I could tell why Namjoon was the leader of the group. His words were comforting and the way he spoke made me feel like you could trust him with anything.

The boys now all had their stage outfits on and they looked amazing. Each of the members wore a different outfit yet they all matched in a way. The outfits were all black and featured lots of different elements including feathers, leather corsets, sheer mesh shirts, dangly earrings ... the outfits were definitly ambitious but I had to say that the seven boys pulled them off in a way I dont think many people could.

Miss Jackson cleared her throat loudly  just as before, I'm guessing this was a habit of hers. "Top up time" she spoke loudly and clearly as if to conduct the room, and just like that the technicians moved out of the way for Miss Jackson to do her job.

I watched intently as my mentor pressed loose powder into each of the boys faces. This was to absorb any oils that may have been released from the skin and helps keep the makeup on for longer. She also added extra lip gloss and eyeshadow here and there if the boys needed it. When Miss Jackson had finished it was already 6:50 and I heard a loud voice from the speakers surrounding the backstage area "10 MINUTES TILL STAGE". The boys huddled together with their hands all piled together in the centre "bang - tan - bang - tan - bang - bang -tan!" They chanted, pushing their hands down together at the last syllable. That must be their pre-show, good luck ritual. They then split up and each took their space at different stage entrances ready for the show to begin.

I followed Miss Jackson as she walked over to a to an area with several fold away chairs and a small tv screen. "This is where we watch the performance, it's important that you watch so that you know when the performers are coming for between set makeup checks. We always have 1 planned for the middle of the show but sometimes we may add in more depending on circumstance. Okay?"
I nodded to show I understood and took my seat infront of the TV. It was finally time to see what BTS was all about.

As the show started, the screams of the fans grew louder and louder as they began to chant the members names in unison:

"Kim Namjoon
Kim seokjin
Min Yoongi
Jung Hoseok
Park Jimin
Kim Taehyung
Jeon Jungkook
BTS!"

Miss Jackson told me that there were 60,000 fans here tonight and another 60,000 tomorrow. How had I not heard of BTS before today when they're so famous? I suddenly heard music beginning to play and I focused my attention to the tv screen. For the next 45 minutes I watched ; stunned at the performance the boys gave. Every song was different - pop, dance tracks, ballads, each featuring beautiful choreography which every member executed perfectly. On stage, all of the boys had this unique charisma that drew me in and I somehow couldnt take my eyes off of them. They all seemed so passionate about their performance, putting every bit of energy they have into it and it made it all the more exciting to watch.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Miss Jackson standing up from her seat and walking back towards the stage entrance. It must be time for the mid show makeup check.

As the boys came down from the stage, I noticed dozens of people rushing over to them. As i followed Miss Jackson and got closer, I was shocked to see all of the boys lying on the floor breathing heavily, some even with oxygen masks on their faces. As If it was an ordinary occurrence, Miss Jackson began to apply makeup onto the members who were clearly nearly passing out from exhaustion. I watched on in disbelief, as the boys gasped for air while several members of staff gave them water and massaged their aching bodies. This was madness. The guys were only half way through the show and they were drained to the point of needing help to breathe. Saying they put their everything into their performance was an understatement.

In under 10 minutes the boys were back on their feet, ready for the second half of the concert. They obviously hadn't recovered properly  yet but it seemed that nearly passing out half way through was a frequent event for them otherwise how would they know to have oxygen masks at the ready? I had heard of korean pop groups being over worked, but this was next level extreme.

The members once again made their way to the stage ready to complete their concert. As I watched on the television screen I couldnt believe that the second half of the show was completed with just as much power and passion as the first half. What were the staff doing to give these boys so much energy? Whatever it was it was strong.

As the show came to an end I realised I hadn't eaten since breakfast in my apartment and my stomach let out a huge growl. I turned to my left to ask Miss Jackson if there was any food available for staff, when I realised she had disappeared.

Shit.

I looked around quickly trying to scan for Miss Jackson yet she was no where to be seen. I was growing more nervous by the second. This is the end of my dream internship- I just know it. I need to find Miss Jackson ASAP before everything is ruined.

I stood up and began to search around the backstage area, peeking through cracks in doors and listening intensely to see if I could hear her recognisable monotone voice anywhere.

I had no such look.

I weaved through the crowds of stage hands and technicians who were cleaning up after the show and made it back to the maze of corridors from earlier. I guess I'll go back to the hair and makeup room and hopefully she will be there. I had all my fingers and toes crossed. I had already been searching for Miss Jackson for 20 minutes. As I walked speedily through the corridors I began thinking of what I could say to explain what had happened to my mentor although i didnt even really know myself.

I soon made it back to the hair and makeup room and barged in without a second thought, hoping I would find my A.W.O.L mentor. It was just my luck that instead of finding Miss Jackson I found the seven members of BTS sat eagerly tucking into their dinner.