Chapter 7

"익숙함에 속아 소중함을 잃지 말자."
"[Don't lose preciousness tricked by familiarity]."

We were spending so much time together and it shows.

-Aurora (오로라)

2016. 06. 10.

Today is Friday, we finished our 4th performance earlier and we still need two more performances. So close, yet so far but we're doing a great job. It's been one month since we started doing this project, it's tiring but I'm having a good time.

     "야 [Hey]," I heard my seatmate catching my attention.

     I turned my head and looked at him. "뭐? (Mwo?)" I asked impolitely. 

     For almost two weeks, I've been talking to Seonghwa impolitely because we're already close and he told me I can use banmal when talking to him. 

     "같이 놀래? [Do you want to hang out?]" he asked suddenly.

     "물론이지언제? [Of course, when?]

     "음... 오늘 (Um... oneul)."

     "오늘? [Today?]" I asked to check if I heard him right and he nodded in return patiently waiting for my answer.

     With the look in his eyes, I couldn't get myself to decline his offer but I needed to. "같이 놀고 싶지만... 산과 난 어디론가 갈 것이다 [I would like to hang out with you but... San and I will go somewhere]."

     Seeing the excitement and hope in his eyes drop in an instant, I tried to cheer him up and told him we could do it some other time but not today. I need to hang out with my best friend. It's been a while since the last time I hang out with him.

     Seonghwa and I have been spending so much time together for the past weeks. Every Saturday, and Monday to Wednesday. We are not just practicing for the project but we sometimes hang out too. I'm not complaining as I really enjoy his company.

     There was this time when we went out, we were walking when I unconsciously wrapped my hand on his arm above his elbow. I didn't know how long my hand was there holding his arm. Luckily, that day, he didn't notice it or he just didn't bring it up. I hope he didn't notice it but if he did he made the right decision of not bringing it up. I know for sure I wouldn't handle the situation if that ever happened.

     I couldn't believe I did that and I'm writing this in my diary. Thinking about it makes me feel so effing embarrassed and makes me wanna let out a loud sigh. The thought of just knowing it happened makes me want the ground to swallow me. I don't even wanna remember that situation!

     I'm used to doing that to San because I always hang out with him and it shows. I've known him since the second year of middle school and we're now in our second year of high school which means we've been friends for three years and a few months. Because our houses are in the same building, we always go to school and go home together when he doesn't have to go to his father's taekwondo studio to take his taekwondo class every Wednesday and Friday. And because of our houses being in the same building, it is easy for us to always spend our time together. San usually comes to our house and the other way around. That's why if you can't find me at my house, I'm up there on the fourth floor, in my best friend's house.

     He and I, we're so used to each other's presence, and because of the project, we don't get to hang out that much these past few weeks. We do in our school but we do not hang out after class and on weekdays just like we used to before. 

     If Seonghwa and I have Saturday, Monday to Wednesday, they have Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. We're always busy and only have time to rest and do our things in other subjects that's why we decided to hang out today after class, the hour San was supposed to attend his taekwondo class but he didn't.

     I heard the bell rang indicating that school already ended. I said my goodbye to Seonghwa which he returned as I heard the voice of my best friend.

     "오로라야 가자 [Aurora let's go]."