chapter 8

I'm a bit impatient

I'm not that gentle

Vernon wasn't very good at dealing with death

Vernon wasn't very good at dealing with death. In his world, every kid was taught to believe that money meant everything, but the paper began to lose it's appeal once he realised that there were certain things that it couldn't buy. It was tough to accept that no matter how much cash he had, he would never be invincible, but it was still nice to spend it on worthless things that temporarily filled the void that was in his heart. 

'' Kim Danbi! Kim Danbi! Are you here to visit Hansol Vernon Chwe? Is he mourning the loss of his lover? He hasn't made any public appearances ever since professor Park's body was found at your university, so everyone suspects that they were having an affair! '' I was standing outside Vernon's mansion, holding a giant teddy bear made out of chocolate and searching for the doorbell or any other way to alert him about my presence, when a journalist suddenly jumped from the nearby bushes and approached me. '' Do you have any comments? '' 

How long was he waiting in the bushes? 

'' As a matter of fact, I do. '' I turned towards the journalist and gave him a quick once-over. Messy dark hair, glasses, a nervous smile. He was young and he carried himself like an awkward rookie that had no idea what he was really doing. '' What's your name? '' 

'' My name is Hwang Hyunjin, I'm twenty years old and I hope that this scandal will help me become a famous journalist- ''

'' I asked for your name, not your life story. '' I cut him off in the middle of his sentence and signaled him to come closer. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, but was eager to get a good story for the magazine that he worked for, so he slowly leaned towards me. I raised my lips to his ear and bluntly mumbled: '' Fuck you. And have a nice day. ''

I patted Hyunjin's shoulder, tightened my grip on the giant teddy bear that I was carrying under my arm and headed up the cobbled driveway that led to Vernon's house. The journalist stared after me with a stunned expression on his face, then he threw his pen and notepad against the ground, pointed at my back and angrily screamed: '' This isn't over! I'll get to the bottom of this story! ''