chapter 2

suddenly you become a different person

when we get along well, I get more nervous 

Everyone that worked in the Palace nightclub and even a few of the regular guests, knew that the boss was involved in some shady business, but we all acted clueless when the cops came around and started asking questions

Everyone that worked in the Palace nightclub and even a few of the regular guests, knew that the boss was involved in some shady business, but we all acted clueless when the cops came around and started asking questions. Here, you quickly learned how to turn a blind eye on things. It was better this way. Most of us didn't support the decadence, but we had no other choice. Once you became an employee, you saw and heard all kinds of incriminating things, so even if you'd try to leave, the boss wouldn't let you walk away alive. That was why you stayed quiet and let your soul slowly rot away.

Jisoo's face was covered by one of my school notebooks and she was blissfully sleeping on the bar. I was sitting on one of the high stools by her side, flipping through a different book and finishing up my homework. The sunrays of midday were struggling to shine through the tinted windows of the nightclub, a faint breeze was blowing through the opened doors and a cleaner was lazily mopping the main dance floor.

We were told to come to work early and wait for the shipment of some new type of whiskey that the boss wanted us to include in the menu, but we knew what was actually going on. Instead of the alcohol, there was something completely different in the bottles and Jisoo and I were here just to act as a cover in case the police would show up.

'' Look at what the cat dragged in! '' I didn't notice that Jisoo woke up from her nap until I suddenly heard the sound of her voice. She was looking somewhere behind me and smiling from ear to ear.

'' Cat? '' I mumbled and glanced over my shoulder. A shadow instantly fell over my features when I recognized the person that just walked through the entrance and made their way towards us. Sighing, I looked back at my notebook and grimly corrected what Jisoo said: '' More like desperation, lack of self-respect and hunger for love... Hello, Jaemin. ''

'' I heard what you said about me. '' He leaned against the bar by my side and pouted his lips. His hair was freshly dyed from pink to blue and judging by the spark in his eyes, he was surfing on another wave of narcissism. It never took long before the sea of his emotions got calm again and he went from overly-confident to a puddle of sadness.