chapter 3

you are the sole person

I've been searching for, yeah you are

For a preacher's daughter, Kang Seulgi had a rather uncommon taste for unholy activities

We weren't friends - she wouldn't be caught dead with someone like me - and she never acknowledged my existence, but I got to know her during all the times that I joined the people who were paid to clean her house. One of the servers at Palace also worked as a maid on the side and she knew that I was a little desperate for money, so she asked me to fill in for her whenever she was sick or busy with other obligations. That was how I often found myself cleaning the Kang mansion and watching Seulgi from a distance.

The maids were usually from poor backgrounds, so it was no wonder that they got quite invested in their boss's glamorous and extravagant lives, but that early afternoon, Seulgi and I were both lost in our own thoughts. A soft breeze was blowing through the opened windows and pink satin curtains were lightly fluttering in the wind. Seulgi was somewhere behind me, counting money and absent-mindedly humming to the tunes of The House of The Rising Sun, which was playing on her record player. I could feel her visitor's dark eyes carefully watching every move that I made, but I didn't think that he would actually say anything about my presence. Their type of people usually didn't.

'' Who is she? '' Xu Minghao asked, finally stopped glaring holes at my back and looked at Seulgi instead. I heard about him, but it was my first time seeing him at her house. He was the drug dealer that supplied most of the students at my private university.

Seulgi handed him the money that she owed him, without even glancing in my direction. '' Just one of the servants. ''

I've been here at least three times a month for half a year now and she still doesn't know my name? But I have to remember her favorite brand of laundry detergent? It's fair, since she is the one that pays me and not the other way around, but it's still kind of hurtful.

'' You don't have to worry about her, '' Seulgi calmly added and smiled. She had the type of smile that could distract you from any disaster, even if it was happening right by your side. '' Or maybe you do? Either way, I'll take care of her later. ''