Chapter 10

They reached Narkanda, the first leg of their journey, late at night. After a quick dinner that nobody wanted to talk through, they all headed to their rooms. It was cold and they were all really exhausted. Heer snuggled into the almost-mattress-like blanket and pulled out her phone which had the new BSNL SIM that would work here. She dialled the only number she had fed in.

"Buuuuuuuubs!"

Heer chuckled and said, "Hi Ma! How are you? Is everything alright there?"

"Of course it is! What did you think? In the 12 hours that you're gone, we would have burnt the place down? You need to have a little more faith in us. Tsk tsk."

Heer rolled her eyes. Her mother had a sarcastic streak in her that would come out any time she thought her daughter asked too many questions.

"Ma..." She sighed into the phone.

"What's wrong bubs? Are you alright? You sound tired."

"No, no. I'm fine! I just miss you."

"And I've already forgotten all about you, of course."

"Yeah right."

"So how is everything there?"

"It's beautiful, ma. I can tell I'm going to be glued to the window seat the whole time here."

"I'm glad! And how are the people? Rina said someone else joined the group?"

Rina shook her head and replied, "You knew about this?"

"Yeah. Ishaan? Sweet kid by the sound of it. What's he like?"

"He's...kind of annoying? Talks a lot."

"Hmmm..."

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm just nodding at what you said."

"Ah okay."

"Bubs...go to sleep now. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Fill me in about the day, okay?"

"Okay Ma. Love you!"

"Back at you Bubs!"

The next morning, Heer's body clock woke her at the bright early hour of six. She stretched and reached towards the window, drawing the curtain open. The place was filled with fog. A child-like grin spread across her face as she hurriedly put on her shoes and looked for a thick jacket in her suitcase. Before she knew it, she was out the door, zipping up the jacket and pulling a beanie over her head. When she made her way to the downstairs restaurant, she saw some of the fog clear to see a garden and white bench calling out to her. She smiled and headed towards it.

It felt odd, this strange respite that was simply weaved into the air here. With every breath she took, she could feel the peace spreading through her body.

Even the cold didn't bother her for a change. It was almost as though it was a co-conspirator in her feeling this peace as she drew her arms together and hugged herself. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath to remember this moment. She had felt quiet before but this was different. This was what felt like was missing in her life. She leaned back in the bench and felt her muscles relaxing.

Unbeknownst to her, Ishaan ambled over through the restaurant entrance. He yawned and shuddered at the sudden exposure to cold.

"Sir, chai?"

He looked at the waiter standing next to a flask of tea, cup ready in hand. He gratefully nodded and said, "I haven't heard more beautiful words today, Sirji. Pour away."

The waiter laughed and handed him a steaming cup.

"It's beautiful outside, sir. Would you like to sit in the garden and enjoy the tea?"

Ishaan walked over to the railing and saw a figure already occupying the ornate white bench. He squinted a little before a small dimple appeared on his face.

"Heer..." He whispered.

"I'm sorry, sir? Oh! Your friend?"

"Oh...no. Well...not yet."

The waiter nodded and asked, "So, garden?"

Ishaan glanced at her once again and saw that radiant smile on her face. He then shook his head and said, "Nahi Sirji. Aaj chai room mein."

Author's Note: You know I've always loved this chapter. I like the sense of peace I got when I wrote it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, guys!

In other news, life has been interesting and busy in the last few weeks. Lots of work and an almost surreal feeling of where we are and what's happening around us. I hope the situation gets better soon and we all emerge on the other side of it wiser and happier.

Until we meet again,

S.