Venture Deep

• Dedicated to Person of person-tude

I've been watching movies about dragons WAYYYY too much for my own good, so put a little twist on it. Ahukhyuk.

i moved it to the fanfiction section cuz, more like a fanfiction than anything

---

A low rumbling resounded in the dark forest; he swallowed, keeping his eyes fixated on the opening. Why was this vast area of trees cut off? Why weren't they allowed? Didn't seem all that intimidating, the noises that came from this surely they could be explained by something reasonable and not some mythical beast they all feared, but had no proof of. But if there was something else in there, he wasn't going to let it live any longer and terrorize the area, his fingers brushed against the knife under his bear fur jacket. Just couldn't be allowed.

He took a step into the black forest, inhaling deeply the smell of dirt and leaves, looking up at the tall trees as they blocked out the sun, only sprinkles of the light remaining, a green hue cast out all around him by the leaves. But yet, it was still all so dark in here, he could hear his footsteps loud in his ears, along with his heartbeat. What awaited them in here?

The light haired male took a look around him, feeling his anxiety leave a bit, his worry; there wasn't anything so scary in here. The birds flittered up ahead, twittering loudly, so happy for another day, occasionally he caught a glimpse of a deer, slinking away behind a wall of trees or into the brush, trying to get out of sight from the odd human that had ventured in. An excited yip from a dog-like creature caught his attention, but they didn't come near, only watched curiously on as he travelled in further, the light from his village disappearing slowly.

The more he was in he noticed the scenario changing, the trees grew thinner, their leaves dwindling and the once bright sun was slipping behind the horizon, giving the area an eerie feeling, his eyes darted around, swearing to hear a loud growl or the snapping of a twig as a black form flittered in and out the corner of his eyes.

A vibrant green narrowed upon him, the man backed away, staring into the eyes of something large and black, it was crouched, its mouth agape so its white fangs shone in the darkness. He stepped back, the red embers could be seen now, glowing in the back of its throat as it prepared to blast him away, burn him to a crisp.

He fell back on his butt, horrified as he faced the end of his life, the stench erupting from the beast's mouth was absolutely foul, it made his eyes well up and the tears streak down his face. He was afraid, he'd admit it now, and he didn't want to die. He turned to face away, feeling the heat on his face, making him sweat.

Wait the knife!

His eyes widened, he clutched to the wooden handle, drawing it out and quickly driving it up into the beast's face. A howl of pain and rage erupted from it; warm liquid ran down his fingers, making them sticky as he tried to release the blade. Those eyes glared down at him, he clutched the blade tighter but, he couldn't let it go. The creature tried to turn away, but he couldn't let it, just as the wing came around he drove the blade deep into it, another cry of pain came the beast, its eyes burning with rage glared at the brave boy. It swung its tree trunk of a tail around, slamming it into its foe, knocking him to the ground.

Its claw pressed him down, their faces inches apart, the beast's lips parted slightly, and the teeth glinting once again. He squeezed his eyes shut, the young adventurer should have headed the warning of his elders and parents, and he shouldn't have gone looking for the beast.

A deep rumbling sounded in his ear, his eyes opened and he stared into those eyes, seeing the fear he knew and recognized, blood fell on his face and he felt his eyes widen, but not at the damage he'd done to the animal, but what really was the animal.

Above him now, holding him down as a boy no older than he was, blood oozing down his back and his chin, the villager stared horrified, it wasn't really a monster after all?!

"Hurt." It whimpered, those eyes were shut as his once were, the beautiful green hidden from sight, he reached up, trying to stroke it, but instantly it shifted back into the monstrous form, pinning him to the ground once more. They remained fixated on one other for a moment; suddenly the beast opened its mouth and roared loudly in the young man's face. He stared into the green and at the body, staring at what he did, but before he could even apologize, the beast had turned and tried to flee, its cries sounding loudly in the forest as its bloodied wing flapped helplessly for air, trying to get off the ground, only to hope a few feet and fall back down.

Screams of rage ensued as it carried its way back into the dark forest, its black body blending in with the surroundings.  Catching a glimpse of its other form as it tried to get away, he looked to his hands, frowning at the staining of blood. What had he just done? It wasn't really a monster...

"Hurt."

The man frowned; maybe it wasn't...the thing they had to watch out for.