𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎 | 𝟏𝟎𝟎𝟒 |

I had a plan, we had a plan, a good plan, unfortunately, plans don't always go the way we want them to

Our base camp was established north of Mount Pire, close to where the bears live, right between the Archenland crossing and the entrance to Datram. But not only was it perfectly located, the sparsely wooded area we chose provided with lots of cover, a good view of our surroundings, and access to clean water. The perfect setting for a base camp. We marched our troops to Datram, all but one of the three battalions, taking the Archenland crossing in the mountains and waited at The Gate for the fake shipment to arrive. Then, Susan and I hid in the empty cargo carts along with some of our soldiers and left on the twenty-first for Narnia. The idea was that she and I would leave first with the fake Datramite load and then Edmund would leave a few hours later, leaving just enough distance between our parties so the soldiers would not be seen, but not too much distance so that when they did attack Susan would be able to blow her magical horn and help from Edmund and the battalion we left behind would arrive. Theoretically, a good idea, practically, not so much. We waited and waited and waited but nightfall came they never showed up. As we reached Archen River and readied to set up camp, a robbin flew in with news of a series of attacks. They had targeted the Shuddering Wood and raided the farms and villages bordering the Archenland crossing. The battalion we had left behind had split up into three groups: one to defend the camp, a second to travel to the Shuddering Wood, and a third to fight off the southern raids. But it wasn't enough, of course it wasn't, a meek sixty soldiers fighting off horsed of raiders across the southern border and western wood? They didn't stand a chance at success.

Of course, as soon as we heard of what had happened we divided our forces to check on the Shuddering Wood and the Archenland border villages, but it was too late.

Just think about that, all the soldiers and time wasted on an envoy that did not need our assistance while the Narnians that did, died elsewhere. And all because of my idea. I couldn't help but blame myself, and, apparently, neither could Susan. She arrived at camp before we did and was not shy about sharing her feelings.

"I told you we should have split our forces to protect our people," Susan said as soon as Edmund and I entered the tent. We had just returned from a very unsuccessful search across the Shuddering Wood, not a trace of them.

"Oh, so you knew this would happen?" Edmund asked with his arms crossed.

He wasn't as bothered with the situation as Susan was. He was not pleased by any means, but he wasn't upset like her, he was more annoyed by the setback and the lack of sleep.

I, however, was very bothered by it. Why, oh, why did I have to suggest this stupid plan? I should have just agreed to lend Narnia the gold and stayed home as Peter asked, but nooo, I wanted battle, I wanted glory... all I've gotten are regrets. And now thanks to this failure we are going to miss Christmas. Perfect. That ought to cheer Sue up.