Chapter 2-Revised: Narabithia

Gen woke up face down on the ground, with a headache. She opened her eyes and everything was blurry and green. What the heck? She thought to herself. She couldn't remember anything after the car ride to the park. She let her vision correct itself and then sat up. Her head swam and her vision went blurry again. She closed her eyes and let the throbbing subside. When she opened her eyes again, the pain was gone and she could see where she was.

She was by a log cabin in the middle of a clearing in a huge forest. Well, that rules out car wreck, she thought, We weren't anywhere near a forest. She looked and saw that all around her were trees which grew so tall that their tops were not visible. They had dark red bark and bright green leaves. Redwoods, Gen thought. How did I end up in Cali?

She stood all the way up and stretched her sore limbs. "Was I kidnapped?" she said, thinking out loud. The cabin door creaked as it opened and closed.

"Not quite," said a strange, yet familiar voice. Gen turned around and saw an odd creature walking out of the cabin. She was humanoid, with the body, head, and hair of a female human. But her eyes, ears, and tail were that of a cat. As Gen got a closer look, she realized it wasn't just any cat, but her cat. The humanoid had short black hair, tan skin, and luminescent green eyes that sparkled with playful intelligence.

"Tabitha?" Gen asked in disbelief.

"The one and only," the creature said dramatically bowing. At that moment, everything came back to Gen. That voice was the same one that came out of her cat right before the weird portal thing enveloped them.

Gen looked at her in shock, at first at least. Her cat was standing in front of her, wearing a long sleeveless white dress and holding a sub sandwich in her left hand and a platter piled high with junk food. She stood on the porch and set the teetering platter on the table. Tabitha popped open a can of Coke, took a swig, and then looked at Gen, to see how the teen would react. Gen surprised her.

"I knew there was something different about you," she said to her former cat, smiling. Tabitha grinned back. She wanted to hug Gen, but she was so drained from summoning the portal. She felt that if she didn't fill her stomach up soon, she would faint and die, or enter some horrible everlasting coma.

So, she took a huge bite of her sandwich, and plopped on one of the porch chairs, which consequently collapsed. The noise woke the others, which until then, Jen had forgotten about. They stirred slowly, and one by one they awoke. "Where are we?" Jake asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

Tabitha got up and dusted herself off. She pointed at Jake with her sub, which then lost half of its contents. "You, my dear friend, are at my father's old abandoned training camp. It's about twenty miles south east of Crystal City, the capitol," she paused for a second to unwrap a large cheeseburger and to open a bag of chips. She then took a large bite, swallowed, and then turned to the group and said plainly, "You are in Narabithia, my homeland."

"And, where, or when, exactly is Narabithia?" Rusty asked.

"And who, or what, exactly are you?" Jeff asked. "And why the heck did you bring us here?"

"Narabithia is a floating paradise high in the sky of the world known as Eden, a world in a neighboring dimension to Earth's. And my name is-" Tabitha stopped mid-sentence. "Wait, is my accent fading?"

Gen thought about it for a second, and realized that the more Tabitha talked, the more American she sounded. "Well, it's not so much fading as much as changing," she replied. "You're starting to sound American."

Tabitha grumbled to herself in the foreign language that she had used to conjure up the portal. "Anywho," she finally said to them, "My name is Tabitha. I am a Catling, a type of Anthro, a race of Human." She tore into her burger and junk food like nobody's business.