Chapter 10: Lost and Found

Tabitha sat against a wall in a dark room. She held the lit end of her staff towards a page in a book. Everything was quiet under Ruins Mountain, until a door creaked open.

Tabitha looked up and smiled at Exlore as he walked through the open door, which flooded the room in a pale blue light. "What's up?" she asked.

"Apparently you are," Exlore said. "Shouldn't you be asleep?"

"I have insomnia. And your excuse is...?" Tabitha replied.

"I'm keeping first watch. Whatcha reading?" He asked. He sat on the ground beside her.

"A Guide to the Dark Arts: Preforming and Protecting. Dual Edition," Tabitha read off the cover.

"The Dark Arts? Why would you be reading about them?" He inquired.

"If the Kindler really is coming back, we need to know how to protect ourselves from the Dark Arts," Tabitha explained. She closed the book and shoved it in her bag.

"Do you know how everyone else is doing?" he asked.

"Let me see," she said. Are you still tracking them? She thought to her staff, closing her eyes.

The staff made a series of clicking and buzzing noises, and an image appeared in Tabitha's mind. It was a map of Narabithia with four dots on it, a name over each. The dot named Nomark was not far from the base of a mountain, with the dot named Rikem following closely behind.

"Jen's catching up to Jake," Tabitha said, keeping her eyes closed. Way off to the right, Marniam sat not far from the Forest's edge. Noremian was off to the left, dangerously close to the Marsh.

"Rusty and Jeff got separated; and I'm guessing their Steeds are with them. I'm not for sure where Jon and Rosa are, but I assume they're with Jeff or Rusty," She said, opening her eyes.

"Wonderful," Exlore said sarcastically. "Are any of the Weapons sending out some kind of distress signal?" he asked.

Tabitha gripped her staff and listened carefully. She could hear a faint cry for help coming from Nomark's position. "Sounds like Nomark is, but I think Rikem is telling him that they are almost there," She said, setting down her staff.

"So, what are we going to do?" Exlore asked.

"We'll begin searching for them tomorrow; but right now, you need some sleep. I'll take the first watch," Tabitha replied.

"Works for me," he said, yawning. He got up and walked towards the door. He paused before leaving and said, "Be careful."

"I will. Good night," she said.

"Night," he said, leaving the room and heading down the hall.

Tabitha sat against the wall, wondering what adventures the next day would hold.

"How close are we?" Jen asked. Black Fyre snorted.

"You asked five minutes ago," he said. "And he is still in the five mile perimeter. My sonar doesn't work well with all these trees, I told you that."

Jen groaned loudly. She was beginning to get impatient. They had been in the Xilon Forest for two days, and were so close to finding Jake and Max. "Can you pick up the pace?" she asked.

"Do you want me to run your boyfriend over?" the dragon replied. Jen rolled her eyes; it wasn't even worth correcting him anymore. "Besides, we don't want a repeat of yesterday," he added. Jen and Black Fyre shivered in sink. That had been one nasty pterodactyl.

Jen counted each tree as they passed by, trying to keep herself occupied. Finally, she saw Cat tracks and disturbed foliage. She hopped off Black Fyre's back and followed the tracks; holding Rikem at the ready. Just in case.